83 359 pete good idea/bad idea-good bad idea

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Ezrider_48501, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    You are fortunate that you can do the work yourself. The alternative is a plastic aero emission expensive electronic piece of junk.

You can have the truck you want and the famous Cummins big cam and ride in style.

That's the name of the game brother.

Oxbow and Ezrider_48501 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ezrider_48501

Ezrider_48501 Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2011
    bismarck, nd
    i passed on a w900a a few years ago because it was a spring ride truck....well and it was in worse shape than this 359 and hadn't even been started in 15+ years and they still wanted i think it was 5k for it... iv always wanted to do a w900a or a 359 with a preference twards a 359 but some of the things about a modern trucks certainly have there advantages.

paint and body work isn't too bad to do, i actually enjoy spraying the paint. but the body and prep work can be tiresome. the body work on this 359 doesn't look like it would be too awfull the worst part is the roof cap on the cab is shot all the rivets would have to be drilled out and new roof cap installed the rest of the cab looked pretty solid and straight. will still need some massaging and repair im sure but its not a total wreck either.

i just painted my mack this last winter
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

and this is a re spray i did on one of my cars.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bzinger, autopaint, BigBob410 and 15 others Thank this.
  4. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    I agree with star Mac. An older truck that's updated with certain newer things like air ride suspension that type of thing is the way to go. It kind of takes something old and you still have something old but it modernizes it. My dad always said that's the way to do it.

I agree about the painting. I enjoy putting a nice coat of paint on, and it isn't even as much the preparation that gets me it's the masking and removing things.

How do you put new rivets in that? Do you rent a rivet gun? Where do you get the rivets?

Oxbow and Ezrider_48501 Thank this.
  5. Ezrider_48501

Apr 2, 2011
    bismarck, nd
    if masking is the part you dislike the most you really would have had fun on the car that i showed pictures of earlier it was a complete color change including all the door jams ect.

[​IMG]

that 359 has air ride rears. certainly a big plus in my book. adding air ride to the cab would probably make a big difference as well. seems like it could be a challenge but it looks like there is kits available so its probably not too bad.

bzinger, BigBob410, Tug Toy and 8 others Thank this.
  6. speedyk

speedyk Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2015
    I'd be happy driving it. I think that hood has good proportions.

MACK E-6 and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  7. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    My A model body wise is good, except for the door pull panel on the drivers door. New ones are available, but they are plastic. I have several A model parts trucks, so I can change it out no problem.
    I can do body work, at least enough to get by, but I am slow, I would sure hate to try and make a living at it.
    I can also shoot a little paint, but not the quality I will want on this A model. lo, If that makes sense. I have a friend that does do some show quality paint jobs on trucks, everything he paints is much better than new and he has access to a paint booth plenty big enough for a 300 inch tractor now too.
    I am not sure what process he uses to paint truck frames, but even after 5 or so years of heavy use, they will still look better than factory.

Oxbow and Intothesunset Thank this.
  8. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    That's the nice thing about these old trucks. You can build them however you want. I converted my W900A to air ride. Was debating about dropping a 12.7L Detroit under the hood but I'm old school at heart. Keepin' the original prechamber 3406 in it.

BigBob410, Tug Toy, BigCam9670 and 3 others Thank this.
  9. Ezrider_48501

Apr 2, 2011
    bismarck, nd
    if i do end up getting that 359 it will probably end up being stretched and a steerable pusher axle added. and it would probably end up with a 2 tone paint job fenders and roof and probably some stripes on the side. its on air ride already but stretching it using a back half cut off with modern rears and suspension probably wouldn't be a bad idea.

10. FoolsErrand

FoolsErrand Road Train Member

Sep 15, 2017
    If you blew 30k on a 'busa or a bassboat no one would bat an eye, and neither would earn you a cent.

Its only money. You can make more. And you can make more playin with a peterbilt than a playstation.

BigBob410, Tug Toy, Cat sdp and 9 others Thank this.
  11. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Did you do the measurements to see if an air to air can be squeezed in with the short hood A model. That may very well be the deciding factor. My A already has air ride, but ti is pete air leaf, and ss rears, so it has to go. I have a set of 46's with air lockers from a 99 international I bought just for them(stole) but I know where and have been dealing on a parts truck that has a low mile rebuilt ddec 4 18,spd and 46's with lockers on air track I am not an air trac fan either, but It would bolt up to the existing holes. soooo maybe, and the tranny would have to be rebearinged or just a core.

BUT, BUT I may have found a parts rig with an E model cat and retarder, 18 and 46's on freightliner air that may be affordable, even if that can't be stuffed in with air to air, I think I know where a long A model hood is, just a lot of drilling. lol

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.