9 days of breakdown!

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by Lennythedriver, Aug 19, 2022.

1. DRTDEVL

DRTDEVL Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Austin, MN
    OOF. That sucks all the way around. You're not making money, the company's not making money. What little you're getting is being literally eaten, and they are eating the cost of your hotel and breakdown pay.

Our policy is for the driver to be up and moving within 72 hours, max. Whether that's hopping in one of our trucks headed past to get back to the terminal for another truck, renting a one-way to get the driver and all his stuff back here, or if within 300 miles, its more economical to tow a spare truck down and tow the broken unit back.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lennythedriver

Lennythedriver Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2020
    Thought I’d provide an update since this thread took on interest that I wasn’t expecting. Lol quite grateful for all the responses so far.
    I’ve adjusted myself psychologically to just go with the flow here. Not gonna get uptight about it because it won’t do any good. Call the shop today and they’re still waiting on a part. Shop manager got on the phone with me and said I’m gonna be straight with you. You might be looking at close to the weekend or possibly even next Monday before you can roll out of here in this truck. I guess they’re waiting on a part that’s back ordered. However, they’ve been designated one in the ordering system so it will be in route shortly. Lord have mercy if I gotta stay here another week. We are talkin around 22 days. And to me that’s just insane. I think I’m gonna give it till Thursday and then I’m sorry I’m just gonna have to figure out my own way back. And deal with the company later.

it’s not my problem they don’t use rental trucks. This is what I was told is their policy. The last company I was at when this happened had me on the road rolling again in a few hours. I drove 3400 miles in a rental Penske truck while my company truck was being repaired that week. For whatever reason this company won’t do that. 22 days is three weeks worth of paychecks that after taxes are gonna be around $500 each. I’ve got bills to pay. Lol

so I’m giving it until Thursday, then one of y’all might find me out there standing at the end of an on ramp with my thumb in the air. I will say the company is very nice when I call in, They’re probably anticipating that at some point I’m gonna go off on them and so I’m getting a lot of sweet talk. That’s only gonna work so much longer. Lol

Thanks again for all the advise folks!

4. DRTDEVL

DRTDEVL Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Austin, MN
    A LOT of companies will arrange for your transportation at your current location directly to their terminal so you won't have to figure out your way home before applying and processing. Some will even overnight you the chain of custody so you can take the drug screen locally or along the way in the rental car they provided so that you aren't held up in another hotel waiting for the results.

Just sayin'... you might not want to rest on your laurels.

5. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    communicate with your company, and not as late as thursday, like maybe early in the morning tomorrow.

tell them you want out.

see/hear how they respond.

if they don't get back to you by the end of the day?

take a uber, Lyft, taxi cab, and vamoose

Last edited: Aug 22, 2022
  6. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    If you are willing to wait till Thursday why not wait till Monday? Holy cow that's a long time doing nothing! Small company?

7. GYPSY65

GYPSY65 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2012
    SW FLA
    I agree
    But although I’m not big on people who give up and quit I do think that $100 a day and an oh well attitude deserves the same in return

Some say he has had good times so suck it up
    What? The company makes $$$$ per day on him and they’re only out $100 now??

8. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    I can say if by today you didn't get told by your company they were getting you back to the terminal and in another truck. I'd be getting my own rental and unloading that truck. Heading to another company. People might whine about Megas. But at Stevens Transport. If it was going to take more than a couple of days. You got a new truck. The fixed truck went to the next person. You are losing money. If that isn't a problem. Then you must be a millionaire.

9. austinmike

austinmike Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Missouri
    Crikey. I would rent a car tomorrow and head home. F em

10. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    No way I'd put up with that !

11. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Hang in there man. It gets better. Kudos to you for calming yourself and redirecting your thinking. You've gotta plan now so that should give you peace of mind. In theory, it'd be great to get a rental truck. I'm not sure how true it is, but I've heard some companies don't do it because it's so costly to do so. If they have another truck, I'm surprised they didn't tow it to you. That at least would have reduced the bleeding some. Nonetheless, man hang in there.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.