9 foot wide trailers in Iowa?

Discussion in 'Heavy Haul Trucking Forum' started by W923, Jun 8, 2023.

1. W923

W923 Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2022
    I have a 9 foot wide rgn. I always assumed that my oversize permit would cover that as well as when it’s loaded but recently was told otherwise. This was pertaining to Iowa specifically but I was also told most states are that way. I have run that trailer all over Illinois and a good bit in Missouri and never had an issue or for that matter ever gotten a second look. Anyone have a different story to tell or does dot just generally ignore it or maybe not care.

singlescrewshaker Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Razororange

Razororange Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI
    If you have an annual it should be covered as long as it's within the dimensions of the permit. What else would cover it?

My old 3/3/2 trailer was 9' wide and I had to permit it empty all the time. There might have been a few times I ran without a permit but it's pretty hard to tell 9'W vs 8'6" wide at 70mph. ;)

4. W923

W923 Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2022
    I don’t see why the annual permit wouldn’t cover it either…I see nothing on it that would indicate that at least. The thing that brought this up was I was talking about going to Iowa to pickup an old scraper that is legal dimension and weight and was just thinking about getting a permit because of the wide trailer but then was told it would take a special permit for the trailer. It was a lady with jet permit who I had the discussion with when I was getting a fuel permit.

5. Razororange

Razororange Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI
    I'm not sure how IA annuals work honestly. Their single trip permits are $35 regardless of dimensions or weight so I've always just got that. I looked through my permit info and some old empty permits and don't see anything special about a 9' trailer.

According to my info their annuals have some restrictions that wouldn't make them worth messing with at least for me.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.