9+ MPG Class 8 5 Axel Trucks with Trailers

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Dice1, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Blind Driver

Blind Driver Road Train Member

Aug 7, 2006
    New Albany, IN
    It's not very safe when a 65.1 mph truck is trying to pass a 65.0 mph truck hogging up both lanes on the interstate.

Trucks need a "Push to Pass" system like the Formula cars have :biggrin_255:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 98989

98989 Road Train Member

Sep 14, 2008
    not talking this but i am talking about

when you drive 75mph comparing to 55mph is takes lot more distance to stop truck in emergency here is very often that you have traffic jam on highway on once .....so you have to stop truck in very short distance

also driving slower result in lower possibilities for blowing tire or similar

so here we have big discussions about to limit speed to 49.7mph .....

most companies drive this speed now

but problem will be if they will limit trucks to 49.7 this will increase fuel consumption because truck will be always in limit so this will be reducing throttle and than when speed drops , returning to 80kmh-by cruise control so this will cause worst economy than today

4. Scania man

Scania man Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2011
    Saskatchewan
    We see that Alot here with speed limiters, sometimes they just take miles to pass out that's why alot of motorways in Europe have no passing zones, a "push to pass" system would be a brilliant device if introduced, That's a great idea,

5. Scania man

Jul 1, 2011
    Saskatchewan
    Something interesting; this week my truck wasn't busy do I took a friends scania r 620 6*4 to holland, it was a tandem or double drive unit, I ran with another of the companies trucks, an r620 6*2 with a lift/steer axle,both had auto gearboxes, we both had the same trailers and loads of machine parts, almost exactly the same weight too and same conditions, the 6*4 I was driving was 0.8 mpg's worse on fuel than the 6*2, I guess what I witnessed was frictional losses in action due to the extra machinery of the second drive axle, I am now definately sold on dice's route of micro polishing,

6. 98989

98989 Road Train Member

Sep 14, 2008
    do you know axle ratio and tires on both of them

because we can see some long legged 620 single drive

but very hard to drive fast 6x4

truck

this also can be lot of difference

7. Scania man

Jul 1, 2011
    Saskatchewan
    Both are running 1300 rpm @ 90 kph , both are heavy haulage spec, only the axle configuration is different,

8. DonRobbie

DonRobbie Heavy Load Member

Nov 26, 2005
    Midwest
    And as long as your happy living in a truck it doesn't much matter if a given hour is in the bunk or the captains chair. Myself I'd rather get my 23-2500 miles for the week over with so I can be in my lazy-boy at home. 2-3 hours more at home rather than in a truck dodging 4 wheelers is a plus in my book thankyouverymuch.

Sumothertrucker and Stile Thank this.
  9. DonRobbie

DonRobbie Heavy Load Member

Nov 26, 2005
    Midwest
    I liked the way Pumpkins used to be set up with 63 mph on cruise and 65 foot to floor.

10. Dice1

Dice1 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2011
    Bessemer City, NC
    I am home every weekend to go to Church on Sunday and even home for Church on Wednesday nights most of the time too!

I see too many of the 75+ mph Supertruckers racing from one truckstop to the next with the same trucks passing you 2 and 3 times in a 200 mile leg of most trips. I will trade 2 or 3 hours for each dedicated run to save in fuel the equivalent of around $100 per hour......$100 per hour makes for a nice paycheck and besides I don't need to stop near as much because I am not wore out mentally from your own words "truck dodging 4 wheelers", in and out of slower traffic, slamming on brakes because of slower traffic, working with traffic that would be close to my speed and tailgatting all those slower vehicles to get them out of the way that is all very tiring mentally....been there done that.

I have tried it both ways and most that make fun of going slower have never tried it.

11. Scania man

Jul 1, 2011
    Saskatchewan
    Absolute sense!

I understand the company drivers who like to drive hard and fast, I was like that too but when it's your truck and your paying for your own fuel, tyres and maintenance you will slow down and drive at a steady pace,

scottied67 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.