90 day DOT medical card issued/Sleep test required, Need advice please

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by CK73, Dec 19, 2019.

1. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    You are absolutely correct about concentra and the racket. However it is happening at other places too. The medical examiners have to be recognized by the dot as their official examiners. So its getting to where not just anyone is gonna be able to do them anymore. For about 30 years up to 2010 we sent in a physical exam from our personal gp and it qualified.
    During my event after i was denied my 1 month cert I went to another examiner and he gave me the 1 month but that is all he could do. He said it is becoming quota thing to continue to be recocnized as an official dot examiner. If they dont sleep study cdl holders they will throw up a red flag.

DougA Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TexasKGB

TexasKGB Light Load Member

Oct 15, 2019
    Fiddler's Green
    I know. You'd think people would just stop eating as much and start walking. An inch on the neck in a year?

The meds required to keep someone like that walking would literally kill a healthy person.

We all pay for ####ty health decisions.

HoneyBadger67 Thanks this.
  4. Wespipes

Wespipes Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2019
    Go to a chiropractor! Dont let them bully you into a cpap. Only like 5% of people actaully need it! Just find a decent dr Theyll pass you

olddog_newtricks Thanks this.
  5. SmallPackage

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    Second place I went to is a chiropractor. They are Dot med examiner certified. Two different chiropracters that members of my family use well not touch it. They are not Dot certified to do cdl reg exams and their paper showing they did it means nothing to the dot. Bullies dont hold ur license hostage terrorists do. Lol.

CK73 Thanks this.
  6. CK73

CK73 Medium Load Member

Dec 19, 2017
    Holy crap! Look at all these posts mentioning CONCENTRA as the culprit behind these forced studies. CONCENTRA is who did this to me as well. @Jenn72 thanks for posting some numbers about the cost of the sleep study and machine. Makes me feel a little better.

Is your hubby feeling better after using the CPAP?

7. Jenn72

Jenn72 Medium Load Member

Jun 7, 2019
    Actually yes. He doesn't snore with it on or toss and turn as much while sleeping.

CK73 Thanks this.
  8. CK73

CK73 Medium Load Member

Dec 19, 2017
    It does have a "Chip" but there is a question of can the machine be gifted or passed on. I wonder if the system would allow it for hygiene purposes. We'll see. His new one uses bluetooth, is smaller, and less invasive than the old school.

Trying to be positive about all of this. I have spoke to drivers and read testimonies where drivers report the CPAP has changed their lives for the better, IF they needed it AND it wasn't LITERALLY FORCED DOWN THEIR THROATS.

9. CK73

CK73 Medium Load Member

Dec 19, 2017
    The neck circumference is the most questionable metric IMO. I am a big framed fella even when I had perfect BMI, not that long ago before becoming a driver.

I take responsibility for getting fat but look I carry that weight well and get around perfectly, in my mid-forties anyways.

The other big metric is the throat exam.. my "Throat hole" is huge, no problem there. Literally failed the test by 1 point with the combination of borderline BMI and the neck God gave me.

Meds? I take a low dose of an old school beta blocker.. Most likely I could outrun @TexasKGB and kick his butt at the same time. (kidding) 6'2 former track star and golden gloves boxer here. We see some HUGE 400lb truckers out there everyday that can barely get in and out of the truck, and they have a 2 year card.

That's not me, so this situation feels unfair and unwarranted, but here we are.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  10. SmallPackage

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    Here is a question for Jenn72. Do you get to keep the machine if you break ties with that co? Your post sounds like your company has a program to supply their drivers or help with the study, machine, consumables that need to be replaced and the cleaning maintainance that needs to be done every few months as well as the print-outs that u need to be compliant. All of that stuff cost big bucks to o/o’s or small business owner’s or anyone who doesnt have co insurance. Not to mention the down time loss running around getting the stuff done. I Was told by the cpap salesman the insurance pays only $720 of the return fee if u don't or can’t use it or don’t need it anymore. That $720 is only 10% of the cost of machine you pay the rest. Rent to own and have to replace every 5 to 10 years. The sleep study place also charges $40 co-pays and $45 for the print outs.

11. SmallPackage

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    CK73.
    One thing that really is frustrating is there are many different treatments that can be done to control the mild and somewhat moderate cases. Ive had an oral device from my gp to stop my snoring for years but it is not recognized as a treatment by dot. Only cpap.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.