96 peterbilt 378 3406e cat. High oil temp

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by irishluck09, Jun 30, 2020.

1. irishluck09

irishluck09 Light Load Member

Nov 24, 2019
    I have a clean radiator, did a flush, new thermostate, AC condensor isnt on my radiator. Its on my frame rail behind the cab. Everything seems good, oil still running at 220* minimal.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Condensor on the frame behind the cab? Are you sure that isn't your transmission cooler?

Have you shot the oil pan with an IR temp gun to verify the sensor is reading correctly?

4. irishluck09

irishluck09 Light Load Member

Nov 24, 2019
    lol yea, 100% sure. Its weird. But there is no AC condensor on the radiator. I actually just bought one to put it back OEM. Previous owner moved it to the frame real behind the cab for "Easier cleaning" because it use to be a grain truck. Not sure how it was easier but yeah.

Have not used temp gun on oil pan yet but the sensor is brand new, I changed it out on my last oil change.

5. w9l

w9l Medium Load Member

Oct 12, 2013
    Right as rain. Oil temp is gonna be higher than coolant. Usually 15-20* Properly cleaning the radiator and everything g in front of it seems to be a must do with our trucks. Either that or drive around with fan locked. Peterbilt gauges seem to be less than perfect. I have jacked around and replaced coolant gauge twice and sending unit and short adapter harness once + let some "professionals " at Peterbilt and an independant shop take a stab at it and it is still erratic and reads high most of the time. I gave up and put a Scangauge on it. It reads from ecm sensors instead of gauge sensors. Best money spent on gauges. Reads oil psi oil temp, coolant temp, iat, barometer, boost and more plus has mpg feature that is amazingly accurate. Cost under 175.00

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.