99 Fliner FLD120 Fan runs constantly, temp light and oil light on

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by BoDo, Sep 13, 2018.

1. BoDo

BoDo Bobtail Member

Sep 13, 2018
    I have a 1999 Freightliner FLD120. The temp and oil light indicators/buzzer came on and the fan is running constantly and the heater on the mirrors won't work. The engine is not running hot. Have checked grounds, replaced fan solenoid, changed coolant temp sensor, installed new EDM, changed ground from alternator to the starter, new ignition relay and mirror heat relay. The buzzer went off and fan was running fine for a few days and then randomly came back on while I was driving and haven't been able to get the problem to stop. Truck isn't throwing active codes. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    If it is a Detroit maybe check the wiring harness in the right rear of the valve cover area.

Rideandrepair and BoDo Thank this.
  4. BoDo

BoDo Bobtail Member

Sep 13, 2018
    It is a Detroit 60. Checking that now.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  5. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Mines doing same thing.Fan comes on for no reason 01 Fld . This is such a common problem I forget it’s even there!!! Probably my fan switch.Sounds like you did everything you should have. As long as A/C is off (including defroster) and it still does it. You may need to check the wiring harness to fan selinoid you say you already replaced (on firewall near steering column) My last Truck 99 Fld had a bulliton on it from factory. No one seemed to know anything about it. Till I asked Freightliner in Youngstown about it while buying some parts. They were all over it. Finally someone heard of this!!! They sold me a new harness that included a pigtail splice of some sort and explained how to wire it in even loaned me special expensive crimping tool. I fixed it on their lot within a half hour. Truck had that problem for years up until then that fixed it. That’s all I got Take it from there. Good Luck

BoDo Thanks this.
  6. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Check all wires and any sensors related to the cooling system. Williams Detroit found that once a week problem we had. Truck was out of town. I don't remember exactly what it did other warning light. It was the harness mentioned.

7. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    Follow air line from fan to selinoid on firewall 2 wires into 1 plug 2 airlines

BoDo Thanks this.
  8. BoDo

BoDo Bobtail Member

Sep 13, 2018
    Thank you all. I'm back at it again this morning.

9. BoDo

BoDo Bobtail Member

Sep 13, 2018
    Traced the electrical wires from the solenoid back to the firewall. Found a small break in the positive wire from the starter to the alternator. The exposed metal on the positive wire was pressing up against the valve cover. The valve cover had worn a hole in both the positive and negative wire (I had already changed the negative wire). I wrapped it in electrical tape and the buzzer and warning lights are now off. Thanks everyone for all of your help and suggestions.

xsetra, BoxCarKidd and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  10. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    What happened to this post . We went through all this and truck was fixed already

11. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    Same post Driver already fixed the problem what’s up?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.