A bad day.

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by Highway Hypnosis, Dec 20, 2016.

1. Highway Hypnosis

Highway Hypnosis Light Load Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Minot, ND
    So........ I ended up in a semi with an engine that wanted to shut down on steep uphills.. and I was stuck in a very treacherous valley notorious for being hard to get through in adverse conditions. Extreme level of driving difficulty & problem solving. Once the problem presented itself, I made the determination not to get loaded & to try to go back out the way I came. I made a near impossible back into a rancher's driveway to get turned around. On the way out, the engine shut down twice but was able to back up & take another run & nearly made it out... that is until I got to the last icy uphill turn. The engine shut down 1/2 way through the turn & I had to come to a stop... and then the drives slide back & to the inside of the turn. [insert extreme problem solving skills here] I got a passing truck to notify XTO safety of my situation. I was then informed that a blade would be sent to pull me out. The blade showed up 3 hours later by which time I was quite frosty (the engine would only run for 20 seconds max) Q: How do you move a truck with no running engine & no air pressure? Give up...? A: Inform the blade operator that there is no way to release the parking brakes. Then advise him that you have 20 seconds of running engine power to assist in pushing "through" the parking brakes (in the lowest gear possible) and hopefully get the truck on flat level ground where in theory it should run... and that is how it happened. Got the truck up on top of the hill where I finally made it out after several hours. Now, it is time to enjoy a tasty adult beverage.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. S M D

S M D Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2012
    sacramento ca
    Now you get to tell a story to your grandkids cuz you lived through it. What motor and westernstar?

4. Highway Hypnosis

Apr 12, 2014
    Minot, ND
    1998 Kenworth T600 Detroit Diesel. Based on 'over the phone' magical diagnostics, the shop mechanic suspects a fuel delivery problem of some sort... but I don't care because what you see in the video is most likely the last run I will ever make with this owner/op.

Attached Files:

RollingRecaps, rabbiporkchop and S M D Thank this.
  5. S M D

S M D Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2012
    sacramento ca
    I should have known that by the side of the sleeper(didn't watch whole video skimmed through it) that truck looks like it's had better days for sure. But stuff happens it's a machine. What are your future job plans?

6. Highway Hypnosis

Apr 12, 2014
    Minot, ND
    Unknown... although I have several opportunities here, I am going to take tomorrow off & calm down before making any rash decisions.

rabbiporkchop and passingthru69 Thank this.
  7. White Dog

White Dog Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Iowa
    Low coolant? That will shut a truck down. Especially on a hill when the engine is pulling hard, and the coolant level falls back below the censor.
    The broken steer rim would get you put out of service, and looks like it's been that way for a while...I would never have moved the truck in the first place.
    And if the owner knew about the rim and did nothing...I would have walked away. Front end failure could be deadly to you and anyone around you.

So who's fault is this really?

wore out, AModelCat and icsheeple Thank this.
  8. icsheeple

icsheeple Trailing the Herd

Nov 1, 2013
    Kansas City, KS
    I'd lean toward low coolant for the shutdown. I always roll with a gallon of premix in case that happens. You also have an override switch for situations like yours to get over hills. A cracked rim is cheap and easy to fix. Learn your rig while it gets fixed and hammer down.

9. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    That valve cap is the cleanest part of the truck. lol

Jk driver, good luck on future plans.

10. Highway Hypnosis

Apr 12, 2014
    Minot, ND
    Yes... all of this is my fault. I made the decision to "man up" and run this old beat-down oil field truck to its limits. I put safety second to making money.

But no more.

G13Tomcat, Mike2633 and Lepton1 Thank this.
  11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    That steering wheel (Front end outside aluminum wheel.) is totally unacceptable it is a threat to your life, all others around you. OOS that POS and put on a new wheel.

In all my years I have never seen a steer wheel in that failed condition. Whoever owned that truck shows extreme neglect allowing that wheel to be that bad.

All the other stuff..., it happens. Have a good dinner, sleep it off and tomorrow is a new day.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.