A company wants to see my arrest record from 20 years ago?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Jay.B.B., Jan 31, 2023.

1. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

2. ducnut

ducnut Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    SPI
    If a potential employer is going beyond normal practices to dig up stuff, just keep applying elsewhere. My feeling is, if they’re willing to go after you BEFORE you’re on their payroll, imagine how they’ll be AFTER you’re on their payroll. The stress just isn’t worth it. There are potential employers out there who need a driver more than they need games.

3. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    There is one thing that some fail to remember about trucking and felony history. Unless your felony qualifies for Deemed rehabilitation in Canada you can't enter Canada. If the carrier does a lot of business in Canada you can't work for them. Also, there are a lot of carriers that sometimes have loads where the customer requires the driver to have a clean record OR a long period of time since the conviction. If the carrier wants the details of the conviction I suggest you provide it. Remember this. If you told them you were a felon and are still investigating that is not necessarily bad news. Years ago I had to get on an airplane in Atlanta headed toward Detroit. The company had a driver that was turned back at the Canadian Border. I don't know what happened to him. I took the load in and made the delivery and brought the truck back to Atlanta.

4. Jay.B.B.

Jay.B.B. Bobtail Member

Dec 21, 2022
    I appreciate the insight. I was thinking that the DUI/MVR would of been enough to over look travel/work to Canada and they seemed to be fine with that. So I assumed that this should be no sweat after clearing that hurdle, no Canada? fine, no big deal for me.

Its them wanting to look at the arrest record, that contains statements from witnesses, officers and all the police details leading up to the charges, over 100 pages of stuff not to mention the severity of the charges originally filed with in them, without explanation of when they got reduced to lesser charges and being convicted of them. Being charged with something is WAY different if your found guilty of lesser offenses. Like the difference between being charged robbing a connivence store vs after going to court only being convicted of a lesser charge of retail theft. And that's how this arrest record looks, worse than the conviction. I hope I get a chance to prove or explain that.

Anyways, I was thinking maybe this was just them putting all this paperwork together for an interview because they are one of this "case by case basis" companies and will discuss on the interview. Oh well, wishful thinking. Thanks again.

The Railsplitter Thanks this.
  5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Jay.B.B. Thanks this.
  6. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  7. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.