A Confession

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Gulf, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Gulf

Gulf Medium Load Member

Jul 12, 2013
    This could come in the length of a book but I'll try to keep it short. The main point is that the old guys were right, most of the time, when I didn't want anything to do with them as a younger driver.

Approaching 50 years of age I felt like it was a good time to acknowledge all those that came before, and whom I mostly disregarded, and treated like they didn't know anything. I was one of those blazing the trail as a notorious "new breed" in the late 90's early 2000's. I was a college drop out, or more accurately college didn't like me, and yet trucking didn't like me either. I was somewhere in between. I would use my van trailer as a tennis backboard on down time to keep my tennis skills sharp and juggle a hacky sack while holding 25lb weights in both hands to stay in shape.

I was also all in on the latest technology, with my old brick of a laptop, running Microsoft Streets and Trips (USB GPS on dash) before there were any GPS devices. "New Breed" was a term I would hear over and over again. And that turned me more against the "Old Breed" every time I heard it. I did everything I could to not look like them, act like them, eat like them, or drive like them. It was my sole mission to not become old and bitter as I perceived most of them to be.

But in the end, they were right. And that goes for just about any working class type of job. You should listen to the old guys. That doesn't mean you should become old and bitter. But there is a reason they have become that way and it was not their choice, though many succumbed to it. You think if you do everything right, and are loyal to the company, follow the rules, obey your dispatchers, etc., that you will be getting ahead in the game. I only belonged to a Union in one job, and I'm not here to debate that. But all you have to do is look at history and see that the working man is a perpetual figure of dishonor, ridicule, and satire. It doesn't matter how much money you make.

I thought that I could beat the stereotype by maintaining my bourgeois sentiments, characteristics, and attitudes. But this just made me more of a fool than anything. While trying to pick up women, consistent with my upbringing, the mere mention of anything "trucking" would be the end of that. I should have conformed to all the characteristics of the working man in the beginning. It's been a long fight and I have lost. I finally bought an old pick up, have tools, and learned to fix things. I always hated old pick ups and Harley's and now I have a Harley also. I used to despise the old long-nose Peterbilts and semis mostly just because I didn't like those who drove them. And now my next semi will probably be one of those.

And while I have started to like Western music, like The HIghwaymen, I still don't like the new Country-Western. Yet I also like classical music and some opera (please forgive me for I have sinned) and the Grateful Dead and some old hippie music. I've traded in my polo shirts for more western, working attire and boots. Yet, still on occasion, when I have to go to the other side, you might see me in slacks and a polo, or a jogging suit. And isn't the tennis weather great right now?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Awe man, I didn't think anybody liked the highwayman. lol

4. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Just embrace being a cranky old guy who doesn't like people, I've been this way literally my whole life even in school and dont plan on changing, hell one of my friends said I'm like 40 years old even though I'm only 24.
    The old outlaw country singers, Waylon, Willie, Cash, Kristofferson and all those guys are the best singers there ever was, most of the new crap shouldn't even be called country.

650cat425, ODR, spindrift and 10 others Thank this.
  5. jammer910Z

jammer910Z Road Train Member

May 28, 2015
    You've come full circle.
    Ye hath been redeemed.

6. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    I grew up listening to waylon and willie and merle. Grew up with cowboy boots and dirt roads. Always loved the long nose peterbilts since i was a young kid. But im still in my 20s . Most people think im much older and i like it that way. Shows my family raised me right.

Brettj3876, wore out, 91B20H8 and 11 others Thank this.
  7. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    I take it as a compliment when people think I'm 30 something.

8. quatto

quatto Medium Load Member

Mar 9, 2013
    The Bluest State
    Lot of use of the word " I " in your discourse. Nice to note that you seem to be moving away from that pronoun in favor of embracing others as having validity despite their progressive proclivities (or lack thereof). I celebrate your awakening and welcome you to this new developmental chapter of your miraculous life !

BTW....you write exceptionally well. Ever considered that road?

9. Gulf

Gulf Medium Load Member

Jul 12, 2013
    Yes, too much use of the word "I". While I appreciate all the positive feedback, this is really just a self-centered rant focusing on myself.

You are are right. If I thought of others more, and did more to help others, I wouldn't be so self-centered. This is true.

Yes I have started several books and not finished.

10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Nothing stays the same in life and change is routine.

The next few years will be interesting once I wrap this one up with a little bit of work medically. If it does not turn out to be that way then I would be happy as well.

About we, who is this we? Well that depends on who you are referring to. There is a awful lot of people I remember in my life first hand, but many of those have passed already. I wont forget them. And some of my old childhood friends took a moment to get back in touch and understand that that was then and life is now. We would have too much of catching up to do.

I is me, only one of me thank god, but there is a awful lot of we's that have come and gone.

11. quatto

quatto Medium Load Member

Mar 9, 2013
    The Bluest State
    The odd thing is there really is no such thing as a central, controlling " I ". The concept evolved out of bad semantics. We have one name, one body, and so we assume one " I ". We begin to see the fallacy of the concept when we try a simple exercise like a diet. We proudly assert, " I am going on a diet!" Then we pass that chocolate cake and another " i " says, " I want a piece of cake!" An internal struggle ensues between the i that wants the cake and the I that wants to diet. The stronger I emerges victorious. Ironically we will then say, "Oh, I decided to....." when there was no real decision at all.

No, we are not a single I but a constellation of forces constantly at odds internally. It is only by embracing a more compassionate perspective that we are able to, so to speak, congeal our internal chaos into a marriage with the needs of others. Then we escape the petty wishes of the ego-centered "i" and are reborn as "we" -- in a union with all. This is exactly why Buddhists believe the conquered I reveals a sort of awakening of the highest potential of our soul whereby we identify with everyone as an extension of ourself.

But you should remember: I'm just a guy on a trucker forum. What the hail can I know? :)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.