A couple basic questions

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by hewriter, Nov 30, 2012.

1. hewriter

hewriter Bobtail Member

Nov 25, 2012
    I'm a novelist working on a book with a tanker yanker as a character in it. I want to get the details right, so any help with the following would be appreciated.

1) Can I assume that the clutch and brake foot pedals are comparable to a car in terms of positioning on the floor? Any significant differences? Is the stickshift typically on the floor to the right of the driver or on the steering column?

2) Are the seats typically bucket seats or more the bench type?

3) Is the primary risk of jackknifing some nitwit cutting you off, icy roads, or the load shifting? How does a trucker avoid jackknifing (beyond having anti-lock brakes)?

4) For a trucker hauling petrol through Maryland, are there any standard routes (for example, Atlanta to Boston or something like that) and if so, would I-81 be the way to go?

Any help with any of these would be appreciated.

Dave

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    1. DO NOT ASSUME.No they are different.
    2. Never bench, nothing like a car .
    3. No, lack of following distance, driving to fast conditions.
    4. Yes and no, HAZMAT has restrictions, also depends on where the delivery is.

Go for a ride in a trucks,

hewriter Thanks this.
  4. sdlm

sdlm Light Load Member

Aug 8, 2012
    First truck I took my test on was a bench seat, so you certainly can't say never. It wasn't adjustable nor did it have any sort of air or spring under it.Also, it had the more traditional clutch layout as opposed to being all the way to one side. It was IIRC made in the 70s it had spring suspension and a 5+2. Such things are on the road still. I appreciate my modern air suspension bucket seats I have in my truck now.

As to the op, I95 (dc metro, Baltimore, etc) has hazmat restrictions on the tunnel in Baltimore IIRC, I think I695 is the allowed route, but I don't carry hazmat so I am not 100%

hewriter Thanks this.
  5. wsyrob

wsyrob Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem

hewriter Thanks this.
  6. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    Not really a truck, more like a uhaul

hewriter Thanks this.
  7. MJ1657

MJ1657 Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2012
    Isanti, MN
    Looks like you've done your homework and have a good grasp on trucks

hewriter Thanks this.
  8. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    Petroleum products are distributed by barge and pipeline.
    Every so often there is a distribution point on the pipeline that serves a given area.

I worked for a carrier hauling gas off the Buckeye Pipe at Macungie, Pa.
    When they had a problem I would pick up tomorrow's papers and drive to Scranton for the night and meet our trucks at the next point north in Pittston, Pa. and hand out the papers.
    The distances are short so the truck makes multiple deliveries around the area.

Chemicals do go longer but most are more regional.
    You have storage facilities in large cities, as well as, individual plants here and there.
    Plastic resins [dry bulk] is more regional than long haul.

hewriter Thanks this.
  9. hewriter

hewriter Bobtail Member

Nov 25, 2012
    This is OUTSTANDING! Thanks so much to all of you!

10. andre

andre Medium Load Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    There is a company that sends tankers filled with Disal SG from Ontario down to Green Cove Springs, FL, so people do truck various chemicals on long hauls.

hewriter Thanks this.
  11. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    Just because it's done that way where you are at doesn't mean the whole country does it that way. Every gallon of gasoline that gets shipped through a pipeline gets loaded onto a truck to go to a station. UNLESS of course you have a pipeline that goes right to the station. There's more trucks hauling gasoline than there are pipelines. There's more gallons of gasoline being moved by trucks on any given day than pipelines. So I'm sorry your statement is just ludicrous.

sharpshooter and hewriter Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.