A couple of CB wiring questions, 2016 Prostar?

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by BlueThunderr, Apr 7, 2019.

1. BlueThunderr

BlueThunderr Medium Load Member

Sep 11, 2012
    I was curious which is the power here and which is the ground ? It's a 2016 Prostar.....

Also, my CB just has a hot and ground wire coming off it..My truck (company) has this connector...Is this a common connector ? Can I find it at the truck stops ?

also, do you use that wire which is for the truck speakers? Or do you just use the speaker in the CB ?

Thanks, BT 20190407_182825.jpg 20190407_182833.jpg 20190407_182836.jpg

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Slowmover1

Slowmover1 Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Fort Worth
    The last driver took the connecting harness with him. Lazy ###.

Ask the shop for the part number, even if you have to order it yourself.

Some will tell you to cut and use butt connectors. Just feels better to me to do it right.

In the meantime, test for pos/neg (every driver needs a multimeter) and test the coax as well (maybe the Rabbi will again post his handy diagram).

The circuit is usually 15A fused. Inspect that and toss in a new one.

Antenna mounts usually get abused as well. They should be firmly mounted. Not easy to move in any direction.

Coax ends get abused. Expect you may need to replace the coax if truck 3-5 years old. We’d tell you to do it anyway as RG8X a good step up in quality.

Post pics of antenna mounts. Measure height from ground to base of antenna. Those can usually stand to be improved. Taller is better.

How the radio is secured is another. A fabric Velcro strap and buckle?

And, where to store mic? A holder for the button on mic back? Otherwise an overhead panel screw to install a HD Gearkeeper.

Attention to all the aggravating little details is what sets installations apart. Real performance gains from that attention and a few $$.

handlebar and BlueThunderr Thank this.
  4. Meteorgray

Meteorgray Heavy Load Member

Jan 1, 2016
    The first thing I would do is see how your radio works with their set-up. As noted, use a multi-meter to find a positive and negative wire and then use a connector of your choice to connect them to your radio.

Then see how the radio works. If you're satisfied, you're set. If you're not satisfied, then proceed as Slowmover has outlined until you are.

handlebar and BlueThunderr Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.