A fair report on Star. 2 years in.

Discussion in 'Star Transport IL' started by jr379, Dec 20, 2011.

1. jr379

jr379 Light Load Member

Jun 8, 2010
    kentucky
    I'm going to be as brief as possibl but I will answer all questions.
    Preface: I love driving a truck and I'm quite well at it. Trucking isn't for everyone and many bad reports come from people either that:
    Have worked for 4 trucking companies in the lastt year.
    Were released because of poor driving
    Found out trucking ain't all about lot lizards, and hanging out in the sleeper.
    Doesn't understand a 700 truck company doesn't revolve arouund you. You ain't always gonna get home.

What I think about Star Transport Morton Illinois:
    I did gett my safety bonus last year but they sure made me make a bunch of calls even though I had a flawless record.
    65 mph is all ya got...faster than most big companies but 65 is a common governer spot so it can take ya 10 miles to pass some people.
    The longest I sat without a load was in upstate NY...sat for 10 hours. This might be because I'm always on time and safe. So I might have priority over some.
    The retirement plan is horrible.
    STAR undercuts your miles by an avg of 180 or so miles a week.
    Horrible DOT rating . Redlight everytime they are open.
    Star will fix it.....if its broke and will give you a hotel right away no fight.
    Star will only fix the ac in Morton. But will give you a hotel everytime you need to sleep if its hot enough.
    The starting pay is amongst the highest in the industry compared to other rookie companies. But the top pay is horrid.
    Ill add more later, ask any questions you got.

Just remember, every company is basically the same...just small diferences here and there.ew

gimmpy Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jr379

jr379 Light Load Member

Jun 8, 2010
    kentucky
    And sorry about the grammer ansd spelling. I posted this with my phone. So I'm not gonna fix it.

4. Cody40691

Cody40691 Bobtail Member

Aug 18, 2004
    Central Illinois
    How often has Star been able to get you home? Is it every 3 out of 4 weeks like they claim?

5. cherokeechief

cherokeechief Light Load Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Gilson, il
    i was with them 15.5 years. the let me go 2.5 years ago. because i laid truck on side for first time.
    the said i could reapply as a rehire in 45 days. tried, they said no. tried again, still no.
    as far as i am concerned, they are hitting bottom. i gave them alot of good talk, spoke well about them, but now, i would say stay away, very far away.
    the safety office workers are in and out like a revolving door. no one stays long anymore.
    they let alot of dispatchers go. you want your truck washed, do it yourself.
    they cap the pay at .35cents per mile now. and the mileage you get paid for is about 10% under what you really drive. the mileage is the way the crow flies.
    if you have 2 years, i'd be looking for a better place soon. i know they lost alot of the cat loads to other companies.

6. jr379

jr379 Light Load Member

Jun 8, 2010
    kentucky
    Its spotty. Ill go 2 months being home every weekend, than Ill be out for a few weeks. Not making it home is part of OTR. If you wanna drive a truck, than your gonna have to get used to it.

7. Truckerswife227

Truckerswife227 Bobtail Member

Apr 3, 2012
    Manhattan Illinois
    I agree with everything except starting pay it is one of the lowest in the industry, most intro companies are paying 30-32cpm for student drivers but home time is not as good. Reason my husband went with Star loves to drive but also loves his family best of both worlds with Star. But pay not so great

gimmpy Thanks this.
  8. Daddylovestrucks

Daddylovestrucks Bobtail Member

Jun 12, 2012
    I have a pre hire from star and plan to hit the road in early August with a trainer! Any advice for the new guy?

9. chriscm007

chriscm007 Bobtail Member

Apr 25, 2012
    mount vernon Illinois
    the first time they dont get me home for the weekend ill drive my piece of #### truck back to the yard and quit.. i dont make enough money to get screwed my average miles per week is 1500.. and i usually drive 45-60 miles more than what im getting paid for each load... im getting out of there ASAP!! worst decision of my truckin carrer

10. M818

M818 Light Load Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
    What's this mean?
    "STAR undercuts your miles by an avg of 180 or so miles a week."
    They cheat you out of those miles or have a policy concerning the miles or what?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
  11. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    Yup,that's what the OP means.
    They calculate your miles which leave you short when compared to your hub miles(or actually driven miles)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.