A few cold weather tips

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by flightwatch, Dec 5, 2013.

1. truckon

truckon Swamp Thing

Dec 16, 2011
    Like I'd tell you!
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x#1

x#1 Road Train Member

Dec 24, 2009
    Cherokee County, Alabama

thanks for that laugh.i was thinking the same thing-

Saddletramp1200 Thanks this.
  4. x#1

x#1 Road Train Member

Dec 24, 2009
    Cherokee County, Alabama
    so you went from snowy driving conditions to driving on ice.why drive at all when the roads are ice,even if you are doing that 15mph? I certainly would not be driving at all when it is ice nor would i drive at 15 mph while knowingly being passed and/or holding traffic up.a man has got to know his limitations.

yours is a self absorbed attitude that makes it difficult for all of us out here.please reconsider your perpspective and SHARE the road as opposed to acting as if you own it.

your comment smacks of the self absorption that new,driving school "grads" possess out here.granted,my 2+ decades more driving experience that i have does not make me a better driver than you.nor does the fact that I did NOT go to a driving school to "learn" truck driving.

I am a better driver because i move out of faster traffics way thereby reducing road rage,keeping an open lane,and basically by sharing the road.IF only one lane is open due to snow or other,and if i feel as if i am driving beyond my comfort zone,i get off the road. simple.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  5. freight shaker

freight shaker Light Load Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Northern Illinois
    Don't forget about the fifth wheel in the winter time. Improper care can lead to poor handling, trouble hooking/unhooking, and/or dropped trailers. It's never a bad idea to check the fifth wheel over after dropping a trailer. Adding a little grease (or a little heavy oil in extreme cold) can't hurt.

The fifth wheel is one of the most important parts of a truck... yet often overlooked.

flightwatch and tinytim Thank this.
  6. x#1

x#1 Road Train Member

Dec 24, 2009
    Cherokee County, Alabama

you know,the above is good advice.keeping that 5th wheel GREASED does wonders year round.good post.

7. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I've always used Power Service and swear by it, but when treating a new tank of fuel that hasn't been treated it's a common occurrence to make the mixture too lean. A lean mixture may be fine with temps above 0-5 degrees Fahrenheit, but if the temp falls below 0 degrees and the truck does not run overnite (have APU) then you may have issues. If the temp is going to go below 0 and you have not bought #1 fuel, you may consider adding more then the typical jug that treats 250 gallons to a full set of tanks in the beginning and continue to add as you add fuel until the temp comes above 15.

If you find the truck having power issues after a night off, try and get to a truck stop, add more additive to your tanks then add as much fuel as you can and try and let the truck idle as long as you can, then you should find it will clear itself up in time as the return fuel begins to warm the fuel, and the richer anti-gel and warmer/better fuel begins to work.

8. flightwatch

flightwatch Road Train Member

Jun 22, 2011
    Somewhere in Texas
    So just to reiterate my point about being scared to death. Going down US69 in OK today, the roads were snow covered, and not packed. Traction was good, and we were all cruising at about 45-50. All of the sudden, everybody starts hitting their brakes and we slow to about 10mph. Come to find out it was a Werner driver crawling in low gear up the MIDDLE of the road. Everybody was slowly able to get around him, and when I got beside him, he was so rigid and white knuckled from fear that he probably wasn't even breathing.

The "road."
    [​IMG]

I humbly ask again. If you are too scared to drive in the conditions that are present, Please Please Please park your truck so that you are not a hazard to everybody else.

Sublime and x#1 Thank this.
  9. freightlinerman

freightlinerman Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Florida
    I hate these people that pull the "Oh you've been trucking for 1 year? 3 years? 5 years? 10 years?" It doesn't matter, after 6 months most normal people have things figured out.

10. x#1

x#1 Road Train Member

Dec 24, 2009
    Cherokee County, Alabama
    so 6 months is the cut-off point between being experienced and a rookie? what then would constitute abnormal?

could it be your view is abnormal? 6 months is march to september.even if a "driver",used loosely,does the 6 in alaska during the listed time span,will that translate into true experience for the lower 48 for the period between october to march? that too is 6 months.

just seeking validation of your view.

11. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Why does everyone drive with their 4 ways on when it gets bad? Is this taught in school?

x#1 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.