A few questions about Schneider

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by SandyEggo518, Jun 15, 2021.

1. SandyEggo518

SandyEggo518 Bobtail Member

Oct 4, 2018
    Hi all, I have a couple questions about Schneider. Im considering applying to work there.

Im planning on living out of my truck while driving OTR. If I take home time at Schneider, will they let me drive the truck home? I want to save money by not having a rent payment for the year.
    Also, does Schneider allow you to take your home time in different places each month? Say for example one month I want to visit my cousins in Louisiana, but the next month I want to go to Miami, or Vegas. Or go anywhere else. They wouldn't have a problem with that right?

Also, on a different topic. For their OTR positions, it says they go to all 48 states. Are there specific traveling lanes they usually use? Like will I usually be in the midwest only, for example, or could I expect to travel to all 48 states regularly?

Is it true that they don't allow drivers to drive at night?

Do drivers have to wear shoes at all times? I heard they will fire you if you don't wear shoes and a safety vest. Is that just at their terminals or at customers or what? And how would they even know that unless it's just at their terminals?

I understand they have outward facing cameras on their trucks. Are they monitored? Or are they just for collisions?

Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Kenj417

Kenj417 Bobtail Member

Jul 6, 2021
    You have to drive truck and trailer home, parking area has to be approved by Schneider. Time at home has to be at your pre-approved spot. Do not tell them you plan to live in the truck, they want you to be out of the truck for time at home if it is longer than 34 hours. They pay for safety boots and do require you to wear them. They threaten to fire people for not wearing them, but I don't know of anyone actually being fired. If you are injured and do not have your safety vest and boots on they make very difficult to get workers comp. Most customers require you to have them to enter their facility anyway. They run all 48 states and Canada, they will request you to get a twic card for otr. Some trucks have outward facing cameras.

Maverick Griff Thanks this.
  4. Germerican

Germerican Bobtail Member

Jun 28, 2021
    Cannot help you with your nomad plans. Don't know if this will work.

If you run all 48 states depends where you live. These are only done by west coast residents.

Middle western and eastern guys stay in the eastern 36 states. If you are lucky you might get a run to the west every other year, but normally the line from west Texas up to west Minnesota is an iron curtain. You will spend most of the time in the "Schneider Football", the area from Ohio to New England. As OTR expect to be permanently shanghaied for shoplifter loads (LTL) out of New England or eastern NY or PA, to replace the dedicated drivers sitting at home for the weekend, so you can get out and deliver their leftovers. Bad for the mileage. But they will break you out after 2500 miles anyway. Then you wait 18 to 20 hrs for a new load (not 24, because you would then eligible for 65 $ overlay pay... always make sure with your DTL that overlay pay, if eligible, is given, do not rely on that Schneider does it automatically), or they sent you to LTL.

Schneider doesn't prohibit night driving. No worries. Might avoid too many life and shoplifter loads, though. You can run 70/34 or 8:45. Test what fits you best.

Working shoes and vests are mandatory at Schneider locations. This can be also at some distribution centers, which have Schneider offices. Also customers require it anyway. Don't expect to be fired for not wearing them without warning. But if you get a warning, you should take it seriously. Not going by the Schneider way will bring you in trouble, so don't stress it too much.

The cameras are only on the new 2021 models. Outward to the front and to the back on both mirrors. So far as I know collision only, only the safety manager of an operation center has access to them. The tablet you will use has a camera, too, smacked some duck tape on it, just in case...

Maverick Griff Thanks this.
  5. CowboyTim

CowboyTim Medium Load Member

Nov 2, 2018
  6. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    Team818 Thanks this.
  7. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    I love Schneider.

skyviper73 Thanks this.
  8. CowboyTim

CowboyTim Medium Load Member

Nov 2, 2018
    In what way(s)? And how much??

Axin' for a friend....

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.