A little input please

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Kool Aid, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Kool Aid

Kool Aid Bobtail Member

Aug 3, 2015
    North Alabama
    Thinking about getting my CDL and just got a question or two. Thanks in advance for the input.

I have been around trucking all my life. My dad always had trucks and I dispatched for him for a few years before going back to work for our other family business. I never got my CDL cause my thinking was I always had someone else to drive (thinking back was kinda dumb). I started driving a Peterbilt 362 straight truck hauling horticulture right out of high school and I have tarped my fair share of flatbeds of lumber and coils. After dad had a stroke and passed on we sold all the trucks and the other business about 5 years back. Been hauling hopper bottoms during harvest season for a couple farmers around here for a couple years when they need me. Now after having a few jobs I want to get back into it. I know I will have to get the the experience of OTR. So that brings me to my first question. I don't really have the time cause I presently have a job to go to a local CDL school at the community college to take the 4 week course. Is there companies that would hire me if I just went and got my CDL or do they want someone that has taken a course. And also have been looking for flatbed companies that are home on weekends. I know of a couple that do that. I am in North Alabama. Like I said thanks in advance.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PackRatTDI

PackRatTDI Licensed to Ill

Jul 15, 2006
    El Chuco, Tejas
    Some small independents might hire you. A lot depends on their insurance.

Kool Aid Thanks this.
  4. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Your father had a good name in the business. You should be able to use his name to open doors for yourself. Also, if you pulled hopper for some farmers, they should be able to direct you in the right direction or they may even know someone that you need to know.

Kool Aid Thanks this.
  5. Straight Stacks

Straight Stacks Paper Cha$er

Jul 18, 2015
    Alabama Gulf Coast
    I live in Southern AL. Check into McElroy. They are a good flatbed company in Cuba, AL and will get you home on weekends.

6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Evergreen Transport has their own CDL school & headquartered in Evergreen, AL.

Get 12 months experience then switch to A&R Logistics in Decatur, AL. Make $62K - $72K per year and home on weekends.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  7. DC843

DC843 Medium Load Member

Jul 4, 2015
    are you sure the school is only a 4 week course?

the school im going to also offered an 8 week weekend course for people working like you, maybe they have something like this?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Draft saved Draft deleted