A lot of information needed - KLLM

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Mint, May 1, 2020.

1. MBAngel

MBAngel Medium Load Member

Apr 1, 2018
    Tucson, Arizona
    I dont know much about Klum personally, but I do like the fact that I went to school separately from my employer. Most employers that have schools require contracts, and if he hates the company hes rather stuck. My company pays tuition reimbursement of about 100 bucks a month.
    If he qualifies, there is a govt retraining program usually run thru the unemployment office that pays to train as a truck driver, a full grant. These kind of options keep him from being an indentured servant, and make it easier to move to a different company if it sucks.
    That's my two cents... good luck!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mint

Mint Bobtail Member

May 1, 2020
    I am just really nervous for him as this is something we know nothing about or have any experience in.

4. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Call their safety dept.....better get it straight from the horse's mouth. 5 years seems reasonable though. How many years exactly hasn't been since the DUIs?

tscottme Thanks this.
  5. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    Everything sounded doable untill you mentioned "The DUI's. How many tickets does he have? Like Chinatown said, Alot of companies will take him if they are over 5 years. But having two of em' might be a deal breaker. If he has any recent speeding tickets that might screw him. First year streering wheel holder takes home maybe $500 - $700 week avg, second and third year about $1000. But........You work 70 hours a week for that money and put up with alot of crap.

6. Mint

Mint Bobtail Member

May 1, 2020
    As far as I know, no recent tickets or anything like that but I will confirm. Its been over 10 years since hes had the DUI's but I would say has held a license within the last 7...possibly longer.

7. Mint

Mint Bobtail Member

May 1, 2020
    I feel like hes thinkin its a little more laid back and getting paid better than he is now...which I assume is absolutely wrong. He has no clue how to go about getting loads to haul (god forbid you have to do it online). I feel like hes going to end up with a larger financial burden but he keeps saying "im out of options, how bad could it be"

8. Mint

Mint Bobtail Member

May 1, 2020
    Also, he is 63 years old. Not sure if that has any factor in anything but he certainly isnt a 30yr old guy ready to rock and roll.

9. MBAngel

MBAngel Medium Load Member

Apr 1, 2018
    Tucson, Arizona
    When you're a company driver, they assign you loads. You are the piece of equipment that moves their equipment around to move their loads. You have a 70 hour clock you can use in 8 days. Yeah, the life is sedentary, but, that doesn't make it more laid back. You're tired after an 11 hour driving shift, especially if it takes 14 hours to drive it. It bounces your body around. Truckers frequently have back problems. Air ride does not overcome the stiff suspension needed to haul 80 thousand pounds around. There is more physical labor involved with flatbed, than with dry van drop and hook. It's always a long walk into the truck stop from the parking. Sedentary lifestyle means choosing carefully what to eat, or gaining weight and the health issues that come with it. Traffic can be stressful and dangerous.
    Having said all that, i wouldn't trade it for anything. The views, the sunsets, the sunrises, the beauty of our country are an awesome way to spend your day. Hubby and I are paid tourists, enjoying every inch of the beauty and changes of season. Our pay is typically over $1000 a week at a year in. It was 7 to 900 before that. Counting mileage pay, detention pay, breakdown and layover pay, matching in my 401 k, the value of my health insurance, the tuition reimbursement, and a couple other random bonuses, it's not bad money.
    What does he have to lose? His life in a fiery crash that may not be his fault or avoidable. What does he have to gain? Seeing things he might never see, and living a lifestyle of freedom and solitary peace.

cotnmth and MIT Thank this.
  10. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    Age 63 not a problem if he can pass the physical, and has no recent speeding tickets. There's a guy on here who is 68 and just starting. Keep in mind that not much hiring going on right now because of the virus. There's drivers in their 80's out there.

11. MIT

MIT Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2018
    Before he jumps on with KLLM he should give Millis a call they have a school in Richfield Wisconsin.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.