A mile is not really a mile?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Jumpman, May 17, 2021.

1. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    I had a guy on my truck do that. Drove a full shift in the wrong direction while I slept. Woke up and I was back in the same state I started my last shift in. Somehow he accidently put the terminal address in the GPS after he fueled... my guess is he got into the "History" page and hit the terminal address without realizing. Followed the GPS and didn't notice any of the signs while he drove.

Since I had to double-back again, we lost a full day.

Normally I wake up when the truck stops, like to fuel. So I usually check to make sure we at least get going back in the right direction. But I didn't wake up that time... the one time I needed too.

It's dispatched miles so it wasn't paid. It turns out it's important to travel in the right direction if you paid only dispatched miles.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I thought most companies went to pc miler program, about 15 yrs ago. Should be pretty close to actual. Short miles are the oldest trick in the book. Actual practical Truck route miles should be used. If your 5% off, or whatever. That’s your actual pay. Too many Drivers just accept this as the Standard. I used to run under Rand McNally mileage. Typically even that was at least 3-4% off on average. It’s nice to be able to run the miles before taking a load. Using my phone. Used to have to look it up in the map, guess at other distances, using the 1 “ =. X miles. For a while I used a little calculator looking thing, that had all the major cities/mileages.I thought that thing was a great tool. Lol. Paying short miles should be a thing of the past. The jig is up.

Last edited: May 22, 2021
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.