A New Drivers Path to Oilfield Trucking, where do I start?

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by Kiddo, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Kiddo

Kiddo Bobtail Member

Jan 3, 2019
    Background: I have four months until I become eligible for company CDL training. During this wait I intend to learn as much as I can about the industry. My goal is to get the opportunity to drive tanker for oilfields as soon as I can. With this in mind, I would be very grateful for answers on the following questions:

Questions:
    -OTR experience is a requirement for the vast majority of oilfield companies and myself. Generally, what am I looking to learn during this experience outside of normal truck operation?

-Which, if any, company CDL training program would be the most helpful to get into tankers as soon and as safely as possible?

-How did you become involved with oilfield trucking? What caused you to stay or go?

-What are the key differences between Texas vs. Nebraska vs. Everyone else? What do these differences mean when applied to real world scenarios?

-In oilfields, which skills and attitudes separate the 'bad' drivers from the 'good', and the 'good' from the 'great'?

-I've made a bunch of assumptions with my questions. Which are incorrect and why?

That's it for now. Thanks in advance if anyone chooses to answer a question or two

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Kiddo Thanks this.
  4. mud23609

mud23609 Medium Load Member

Mar 9, 2015
    Questions:
    -OTR experience is a requirement for the vast majority of oilfield companies and myself. Generally, what am I looking to learn during this experience outside of normal truck operation?

Learn how the truck works and how to drive it smoothly. This will save you lots of time in breakdowns later on. Just knowing how to drive down the road is not enough. Learn to understand the truck and its systems.

-Which, if any, company CDL training program would be the most helpful to get into tankers as soon and as safely as possible?

I pulled vans before the oilfield. This is a non issue in boom times like right now.

-How did you become involved with oilfield trucking? What caused you to stay or go?

I called a number on a craigslist add and headed south. That was really all there was to it. As for why I stay. One word. MONEY. If your willing to put in the work you can make some great money here. I grossed 2600 last week and have had weeks I was well over 3000. Its not for everyone though. Its a grind. I work 5 on 1 off. 80 to 84 hours a week. And the lease roads beat the heck out of you. When I get back to my camper each day I am dead tired. My day off is spent sleeping.

-What are the key differences between Texas vs. Nebraska vs. Everyone else? What do these differences mean when applied to real world scenarios?

Cant answer that. I am in New Mexico.

-In oilfields, which skills and attitudes separate the 'bad' drivers from the 'good', and the 'good' from the 'great'?

The good ones have common sense and mechanical aptitude. They understand how things work and can think on their feet.The great ones have that and are ultra efficient on the well site. You cant make up time on the roads without tearing up the truck. Efficiency on the pad is what will make you fast. Develop a routine and do it the same way every time so you do not have spills or mess up. Speed will come with time.

The bad ones. They are the ones tearing up trucks, and spilling oil. They wont last long out here.

One last thing, and it wont make sense until you get here but look at the road before you commit to it. Often the gps will say turn here and there is a road there, but not one fit for truck traffic. Don't be the idiot stuck in the desert because you took a road that you should not have. Stay on the regular lease roads, that way you do not get stuck and you will always be able to turn around somewhere if you make a wrong turn.

-I've made a bunch of assumptions with my questions. Which are incorrect and why?

The only glaring one I have seen so far is the one about schools or tanker experience There are a few outfits that will help you get your cdl here, and a few others that will take you right out of school. Its going pretty good here and should begin to pick up even more as the price of oil comes back up.

That's it for now. Thanks in advance if anyone chooses to answer a question or two

iron311, QuietStorm and Kiddo Thank this.
  5. tommygun58

tommygun58 Light Load Member

Sep 22, 2015
    East Texas
    Stevens is where i went and they also will put you in the oilfield rite out of school.

rabbiporkchop, Kiddo and Chinatown Thank this.
  6. speedyk

speedyk Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2015
    Tanker in oilfield can be crude, water, nitrogen, acid/hc2/claweb, etc.

Endorsements will help more than which school, get them all right away.

Some tanker companies do have a list of approved schools. Most crude haulers want 2 years exp so be ready to do sand or water or nitrogen for a while. Crude is not necessarily fun work, lots of chaining and other dirty stuff.

7. SavageMuffin

SavageMuffin Medium Load Member

Jan 11, 2018
    MS
    If all you want is your foot in the door it’s literally as easy as get experience, keep your record clean, apply. As the user stated above me, endorsements are more valuable than whatever school you go to.

I went from reefer straight to hauling water the first time out here. Left, blah blah, now I’m back out here about to start flatbeding and winch trucking.

I hated water hauling, loved hauling sand.

If tanker hauling is what you want you can either get that exp OTR and come out here and apply or do what’s already been said.

The patch is very different than OTR in my opinion. Good luck. Learn how to throw chains.

Don’t know Jack about anywhere other than North Dakota, so cant answer that.

Kiddo Thanks this.
  8. Deadwood

Deadwood Heavy Load Member

Dec 24, 2016
    Nine years in the game. Currently a crude hauler in the Permian basin. Schneider is probably your best option since you’re coming with no experience.

Careful though, most companies look at less than 6 months experience as having no experience at all. Better yet, settle in there for at least 2 years and get some miles & experience and then go where the money calls.

Kiddo and Chinatown Thank this.
  9. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Kiddo Thanks this.
  10. Deregulate

Deregulate Bobtail Member

Jan 14, 2017
    Morning,
    Why would you choose flatbed in the oilfield over water hauling, I'm looking for minimum to know start up costs/power only any and ALL information would be helpful thanks.

11. SavageMuffin

SavageMuffin Medium Load Member

Jan 11, 2018
    MS
    Because everyone and their mother hauls water. I wouldn’t do it unless I absolutely needed to.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.