A new, new direction...

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by JReding, Jun 18, 2018.

1. JReding

JReding Road Train Member

Sep 8, 2014
    Puyallup, WA
    I have a partial list started, but can anyone help me with needed items for 2-3 day trips.

Could all y’all help me with what I’ll need for 2 or three days out ?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    670 series. I have a 2016 I bought new. It's been a great truck for me.

x1Heavy and JReding Thank this.
  4. Scooter Jones

Apr 19, 2011
    Does the truck have an inverter installed? How about the built-in refrigerator?

5. JReding

Sep 8, 2014
    Puyallup, WA
    I only did a preliminary inspection this evening, my trainer and I had a twelve hour day, with another one probably on the way tomorrow.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  6. Scooter Jones

Apr 19, 2011
    Well, if you have those 2 installed, it will go a long way in providing the creature comforts of home life you're accustomed to.

7. KillingTime

KillingTime Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Rockland, Maine
    Congrats, Jerry!

Y'all make some delicious granola, btw. Lol.

20180621_000754.png

stwik, shogun, Kyle G. and 1 other person Thank this.
  8. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    Those Volvo's aren't as bad as many lead you to believe... I drove a frieghtliner cascadia for the first time today as my Volvo was in the shop... I very much prefer the volvo over the frieghtliner... The volvo seems to be more creature comfort friendly, IMHO. Mine has a refrigerator, diesel bunk heater, and if I purchase an inverter my company mechanic will install it for me.

I very gratefully returned the frieghtliner keys tonight when I seen my Volvo was out of the shop.

9. JReding

Sep 8, 2014
    Puyallup, WA
    Yeah, we're both coming from different directions. I prefer the Cascadia over the Volvo, but I'll give the Volvo a fair shake and see what happens. Not like I have a choice, anyway! :rolleyes:

Dave_in_AZ, x1Heavy and Cattleman84 Thank this.
  10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Let me take a moment and go over the volvos Ive had in my life time. (Not that many, hang in there)

In 89' we had a brand new Volvo conventional (My first) with the E Series Integrated sleeper. What we would call a midroof today. I think that one had a 425 Cat, very good rears with several locking type options for bad winter mountain work, jake and A/C etc. More importantly it had two more features, factory installed Amber aux lights which went on the bumper near the centerline really low. So that you can literally conjure up the pavement of the interstate at night in really bad fog or snow situations. However we had to use it sparingly so that if we were on a curve it would not aim directly and blind anyone coming. The second item is a full set of airride on the drives. Full bags, not the pinched kind some volvos insisted on building (Maybe some old hand can sit down with me and teach me why in the world we ever had those horrible half bags later...)

That was one we used as a team dedicated to GM with autoglass, curtain sider with european low mini trailer tandem everything to pull auto glass racks for Astro vans from I think Lexington KY to Baltimore GM overnight round trip. Tires were cross cut rib type on the drives which meant you will move forward off road or snow.

It was also my first winter in real mountain work in bad snow weather that year with my trainer. He was very good. Combine that with a literal disregard of how deep snow gets, we keep moving because I literally was too stupid to maybe think about stopping a little bit. It's REALLY getting deep.

I had another volvo for Covered wagon work, this is a 92 or so midroof with maybe a M11 cummins under a rockwell 9 short. For coil work where it required finesse more than brute horse power and speed etc. it was a mountain goat when it needed to be. A mule whatever you call it. A good truck.

That one was my last one. I worked volvos later in the auction house as bobtails being sold off. I am less than impressed with the IDrive auto buttons and the overall feel of glued plastic. Im sorry but after 2001 I felt that other than Petes and some KW's everyone was intent on gluing tractors together badly.

A good volve or any good tractor is a asset, a old friend who will go into battle with you. But god help you if you have a truly crappy truck. A abomination that should never have been put together or built at all. I wont go into detail about the number of trucks I consider really badly done. There is that.

I leave our Heavy Truck Engineers and Designers with one question.

WTF is WRONG WITH you all? Have you gone full brain dead or something over the years? You were doing so goood late in the 90's

rolls canardly and JReding Thank this.
  11. JReding

Sep 8, 2014
    Puyallup, WA
    8C6BDEDF-4A84-4F86-B5AF-2EBF5D4CE9BA.jpeg 7328C7C3-4802-463D-A8FE-D5E2C5268111.jpeg In the meantime, here I am...

Muttsley, stwik, Vic Firth and 7 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.