A thread that will never die

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Gadfly, Jan 18, 2019.

1. Gadfly

Gadfly Medium Load Member

Aug 18, 2006
    next you will have to have the right length of coax. i have shown the math involved already in my youtube videos, so please look there for explanations as to why coax length matters.
    I will sell you the coax you need. (quote from another (closed) thread).

The "coax length" myth will never die until the last transmission is made by the last CBer on earth! :) I have often asked this question in an effort to dispel this myth. No one has ever been able to answer it because, truth is, coax length does not matter. THAT'S why its "coaxial" to start with, and why it is the antenna that is to be "tuned", not the coax. The coax is merely the means for getting the signal from the radio to the antenna, and it is 50 ohm (if the right kind) impedance anyway. Here's why coax length does not matter and I can prove it here with this simple bit of anecdotal evidence. IOW, the "proof" is in the pudding.

Many amateur radio HF operators operate from 1.8 MHZ to 29 MHZ-about 9 bands of frequencies that comprise our normal HF allocations. Some of us operate additional bands that also include certain military authorizations as well. In order to do that, we often utilize multi-band HF antennas that would also operate 27 MHZ if tuned to do so. One such antenna, very popular with amateurs is called a "screwdriver" antenna of which there a number of versions on the "web. This is a motorized antenna whose loading coil resides within copper or aluminum tubing. The motor moves the coil up/down as needed to tune to any frequency within that span of frequencies. Now, that being true, and because there are 8-9 bands of frequencies, the theory of the necessity of a "certain" length of coax encounters a problem! IF this theorem is true, and I *must* have 9 feet, 18 feet, 36 feet, etc. for the "SWR'zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz to be right, Houston, we have a problem! Being that antenna theory is the very SAME for 27 MHZ as it is for 3.8 MHZ, IF, according the the CB "technicians" I must have 9/18/36 feet of coax, or some such, then I must have 246/2 feet for 1.9 MHZ, 120/2 for 3.9, then 65/2 for 7.2 MHZ, 33.5/2 for 14 MHZ, 19.5/2 for 24 MHZ, and about 17/2 for 28 MHZ.

What I have done is used the generally accepted multiplier of 468/freq in mhz divided by 2. This references to a half-wave dipole and the "2" is the other half of the dipole. I have also skipped a few of these calculations for brevity. So if I *must* have a certain length of coax for 27 MHZ, then I must have the other lengths for each band to work. That, my friends, is based on the CB myth of 9/18/36 feet of coax for 11 Meters. So for 160 Meters, 80 Meters, 40 Meters, 20 Meters, 15 Meters, 12 Meters, and 10 Meters, I'm supposed to have 7-8-9-10 lengths of coax in my small pickup truck or else my "SWR'zzzzzzzz" are going to be bad! WHERE am I going to put all those lengths of coax in an S-10 pickup? Hmmmmm?

Yet. I, along with thousands of other radio operators, amateur, commercial, military, operate 80 thru 10 Meters with ONE coax with an average SWR (NOT "swr'zzzzzz") of 1.2 : 1 thru out ALL those bands, and talk regularly around the world. IOW, coax length is a myth that was born on CB, lives of CB, and will remain until CB is no more.

Can you "tune" coax? Yes and no. And the effect of such trimming is so small, it can hardly be measured.
    And if you want to cut coax, do it! It won't hurt anything; won't help, either!

If you REALLY want to mess with the coax length guys, build an antenna and feed it with something called
    LADDER LINE! :)!! It will blow their minds, LOL!:)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mr.Mongo

Mr.Mongo Bobtail Member

Oct 4, 2018
    This has got to be the best thread I've ever read...thank you.

4. Night Stalker10

Night Stalker10 Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2017
    I agree with Gadfly. If the antenna is properly tuned (matched) to the radio, swapping out the coax with a different length, shouldn’t effect the SWR reading. If it does change the SWR, then you still have a problem in the antenna system itself. There are three things that I can think of, where coax length is important in the HF band.

1. If you are making a coax balun for an HF antenna and you are trying to get the inductance correct, then you will be more concerned about the diameter and number of wraps you use. Although coax balans aren’t normally a concern in the CB band as far as antennas go.

2. Coax length is critical for making a co-phased antenna for a big truck. I’m referring to the length of the 72 ohm coax between the two antennas, not the 50 ohm section going to the radio.

3. NGP (no ground plane) antenna system. Since this antenna system uses the coax to make up the other half of the antenna (the rf ground, or counterpoise, ground plane, etc). Then the coax length is critical for the antenna system to work. Even though it’s not the best antenna system as far as performance, it’s better than nothing. Such as using a cb radio on a boat.

I guess if you wanted to have the perfect tuned bench, then yes, you should take into consideration the volocity factor, which will shorten the coax length a little. But, I personally don’t feel it’s necessary, since we are talking about cb radio. I suppose that last statement could open another can of worms.

5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Here is another myth, you don't tune the antenna to the radio. Sorry I know this isn't what you mean but it is just like tuning the radio to the amp.

rabbiporkchop and Night Stalker10 Thank this.
  6. SteerTire

SteerTire Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2018
    Behind the wheel
    100,000 opinions 10x that driving around with 18 feet of coax. And not a single one ever questioned why.

I’m at least glad to see there are some that actually get it. Kudos for the post.

7. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    The thought was that a multiple of the wavelength would improve your swr. But they were mistaken with that also. Theres alot of things in the coax that have an affect on your signal, but length is the last thing you need to be concerned with. Even in the commercial radio world we ran coax, and or Heliax the minimum needed never gave frequency a thought as far as length, frequency would have much influence on what cable we would choose up front but not so much the length, except for longer runs like up radio towers. 1/2" LDF foam was kind of our starting on base or repeater sites, mobiles mostly we used the premade antenna kits supplied by Motorola. They were usually rg58 teflon.

SteerTire Thanks this.
  8. SteerTire

Nov 5, 2018
    Behind the wheel
    I knew most roadside shops were selling snake oil when I first started driving. Because none of them could explain why 120 feet of coax worked on my base ;)

9. Slowmover1

Slowmover1 Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Fort Worth
    Everybody knows: longer the coax, the better the SWR reading.

18’ on a 6’ run in a big truck is sorta like that 120’ of coax on a 57’ base station run. (5# of sand in a 3# box).

All that RFI stuff just gets crowded out. No room for it.

There. Thread finished.

10. SteerTire

Nov 5, 2018
    Behind the wheel
    That’s so sad. My tower was 100’ at the crown.

11. Slowmover1

Slowmover1 Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Fort Worth
    Guess you misunderstood the post in whole, huh?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.