Abacus Vs other CPA

Discussion in 'Prime' started by SavvyRed, Jul 9, 2016.

1. SavvyRed

SavvyRed Light Load Member

Apr 22, 2016
    Oh my gosh. I can't believe they said you "fly under the radar"! Thank you for explaining all of this fully. That article is interesting. I may just pay the 160 and chalk the rest up as a loss.

redoctober83 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. redoctober83

redoctober83 Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Seattle, wa
    I couldn't either. I just about fell out my seat laughing so hard after that. They have that whole mission statement and code of ethics they follow posted on the wall when you walk in there. I guess they forget to read it after the first of orientation.

You're welcome. I would call that law firm. Usually one of the parralegals or the junior lawyers will give you a free consult over the phone. I mean the question you are asking shouldn't take more then like 20 minutes for them answer.

After I had my experience with Abacus Friday, I went downstairs to spoke with my leasing person at Success and explained what happened and what was going on. She had to clue and they only send drivers to Abacus because they are there and it's easier for drivers than trying to find someone. Success assumes that Abacus knew each state requirements since they say they are experts in transportation accounting.

When I did my research last night, I did come across a cpa firm in Kansas City, that states they have a whole division just for the transportation industry. Check out www.rubinbrown.com/Industries/transportation-and-dealerships.aspx If you scroll down to that page you'll see a tab that says services with a link to "Multistate Tax Physical". Read the PDF file that opens up. Sounds like they would do a free analysis of your business needs to see what makes sense with regards to transportation.

Good luck and hope that all helps. Like I said, when I was going through this a couple months ago, I called a lot of CPA's and Lawyers to get advice and answers, I even called my states department of revenue and secratary of state's office. It's just a lot of leg work to find the clear as mud answers ;)

SavvyRed Thanks this.
  4. haywire12

haywire12 Light Load Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Ontario, Ca
    Abacus is not my friend. They are slow as crap to due anything. I gave them my 2015 tax stuff in march and they auto filed the extention without my approval. They took till June to complete my 2015 taxes. Also, I had to refine my 2014 taxes due to the ACA and they are still working on it, snice march....

I am switching to a company that does work with profit guages, a letstruck.Com product, and so far they are more competent then abacus.

Good luck with whoever you find.

redoctober83 Thanks this.
  5. markk

markk Medium Load Member

Nov 14, 2011
    old thread but I can say that in kansas we do not need to have an llc. most people do for legal reasons. It protects you better. We can simply claim we are a business. I have a business Employee No More . It is online website blogs. Kansas automatically puts you as a sole proprietership and use SS number for EIN.

Also somewhere on here or could have been one of the other truck forums a few years back I read a thread and in it a guy did taxes. He was very crafty at deductions. Knew all the loopholes. I am searching for it as I forget who he was.

I am 1099 now. I drive for a guy that owns a truck but no authority and leases it to another company. Pay is not so great so I have to find a very slick tax person.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.