ABF Checker/Driver + Dock/P&D vs ABF over the road??? What's better?

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by freightwipper, Apr 20, 2014.

1. freightwipper

freightwipper Road Train Member

Mar 24, 2014
    OTR
    link please?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Radman

Radman Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2011
    Abf was hiring road drivers 3-4 months ago it was on indeed. I cant find it but I'm pretty sure its close where abf road driver pays. You can go on www.truckingboards.com and search it out in the LTL ABF section or ask one of them drivers. A lot of accurate info for LTL is on that site. Saia Advertises .48cpm starting im pretty sure abf pays better.

4. Shaggy

Shaggy Road Train Member

Sep 21, 2006
    FIGMO
    even if it is 35cpm ( it is not ). The union dues/ benefits / pension make the difference.
    Somethings should be kept in house off the interwebs.

Not being a richard head. Don't go to another site. Ask the TM or simply ask a driver outta that terminal.

5. freightwipper

Mar 24, 2014
    OTR
    I just called ABF and they said "we don't discuss pay over the phone"

6. apasl6

apasl6 Bobtail Member

Apr 22, 2014
    ABF employee here.
    The new contract that just went into effect last year cut 7% of our pay.
    Line haul drivers start at 90% (.51 cpm) for 1 year. 100% (.57...) after that.
    That's mileage pay. You also get hourly pay ($20.38 the first year, $24....After that) for breakdown, delay time while at a terminal where they have yard guys that drop & hook for you.
    You will work any time of the day any day of the week. Usually right back out on your 10 hours off. Depends on terminal but if you're at a bigger (break bulk) terminal you'll usually run out and back. One layover in a hotel the company pays for. If they keep you in the hotel for more than 14 hours you get clock time ($20.38/hr for laying in a hotel)
    Then back to your home terminal. Go home and go back out 10 hours later if they're busy.
    Union dues is $56/month.
    No cost medical, dental, vision. (Great insurance too)
    Company paid pension that usually equates to 30 years = $3000/month.
    You'll work almost every holiday except Thanksgiving and Christmas. And most weekends. Earned time off...When you work 6 days you can take off 48 hours.
    Vacations is the kicker is with the new contract. It now takes 2 years to earn 1 week vacation. 8 years to earn 2 weeks.
    You get 5 paid sick days per year. 1 paid personal day and your birthday.

I hope that helps.

One of the best jobs you can get if you can tolerate the work schedule.

I'd say the average road driver makes around $60,000/year. With some drivers topping $100,000/year.
    Not bad for a company driver that goes from one terminal to another terminal. Gets out of truck. Turns in paper work and goes to the hotel. Returns back home the next day 80% of the time.

imtimmy, crazw, freightwipper and 2 others Thank this.
  7. freightwipper

Mar 24, 2014
    OTR
    Awesome! Thank you for all the information, that answered pretty much all my questions.
    I'm currently an OTR driver so I can tolerate BS schedules, as long as I do a day or night shift I'll be fine but back and forth messing my sleep up is no fun.
    I'm realizing linehaul is the way to go based on everything.
    I have 7 months experience doing OTR and was just offered another OTR gig at .43 CPM which is good considering my experience level.
    When I called ABF a lady told me zero experience and no CDL up to CDL with 11 months experience have to go through their 4 week training and sign a 2 year contract and start at 70% of the pay rate.
    Which doesn't seem accurate how having a complete noob without a license is put in the same category as someone with 7 months clean experience doing OTR.
    I don't know what to do...

8. apasl6

apasl6 Bobtail Member

Apr 22, 2014
    You will be working day and nights at ABF. No set schedule. Most of the runs do go out at night but not all.

Well you have 2 choices. Wait 4 or 5 months and apply at ABF or go to the schooling.
    Most terminals are hiring right now and it looks like that will continue to be the trend. A lot of retirement right now.

freightwipper Thanks this.
  9. freightwipper

Mar 24, 2014
    OTR
    I'll probably wait it out, makes more sense than blowing a month in schooling and then it'll take me 4 years to reach top pay when if I wait it'll take 1 year.
    I already gave my notice where I am at now though, hope this job hopping doesn't come back to haunt me.

10. trucker1979

trucker1979 Light Load Member

Apr 25, 2014
    Abf driver here
    the road pays well but you will have no life. You will run days nights and everything in between. You will sit by the phone and wait for a two hour work call to come to work. You will run six trips to get 48 hours off which translates to basically one 24 hour period off. We have take

11. trucker1979

trucker1979 Light Load Member

Apr 25, 2014
    Sorry hit submit reply on accident. We have taken a pay cut the road at top rate pays .5685 a mile exactly. You start at 90 percent of that. Benefits are paid and are good. 400 family deductible a year. Dental is great also everything covered almost at 100 percent. I make around 80k a year but you sacrifice your life. The trucks are single axle day cabs and are very hard on your body. I have been there 9 years. You stay in a motel on a bed run. Everyone is nice to you. I may be looking for a change myself. I am at a small road terminal. I have laid all day then they call you at 8pm at night for a five hundred mile day. Trust me it will happen. Also if it gets slow you may get laid off. I was laid off 3 different times. Overall if you are after the money and can handle the schedule it is a good job. Take care

imtimmy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.