ABF layoffs

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by TahoeTrucker, Jul 14, 2023.

1. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    It means join the armed forces for 4 years, live "rent free", then get a loan through the VA.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Savor the Flavor

Savor the Flavor Medium Load Member

Nov 2, 2018
    Is ANYTHING truly "free," Rog?

LtlAnonymous and gentleroger Thank this.
  4. gentleroger

Jun 1, 2010
    Look you! The recruiter told me I would get free housing, food, and college all while learning valuable skills and traveling to exotic places. Plus he gave me this nice tote bag and the deed to a bridge in San Francisco. Sounds pretty free to me.

LtlAnonymous, Speedy356, Opus and 4 others Thank this.
  5. Saltyoldone

Saltyoldone Light Load Member

Jun 16, 2019
    Boise
    BAH covered all my rent for 25 years.

My family and I never wanted for food

The military paid for my bachelors degree, master’s degree, and the truck driving school that allows me to enjoy retirement. Always have a window view.

I’ve traveled to every continent except Antarctica and have sailed and flown around the world.

I still have my Original sea bag but I didn’t get the titles to any bridge’s.

It’s all prospective.

I’m just giving options to people who lost their jobs and are wondering where the next paycheck is going to come from.

Old_n_gray and LtlAnonymous Thank this.
  6. LtlAnonymous

LtlAnonymous Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2016
    He was simply saying that military people sacrifice a lot to get the "perks."

Texas_hwy_287 and gentleroger Thank this.
  7. gentleroger

Jun 1, 2010
    It is a solid option for some, but that no money down mortgage with a below prime rate comes with more strings than 4 years of a person's life.

8. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    Never saw any strings.....aside from it having to be inspected.
    Was a pretty good deal for me.
    I got in when the rates were in the low 3's. Over payed every month and was done in about 17 years.
    But, no. There wasn't any flaming hoops to jump through.

LtlAnonymous Thanks this.
  9. gentleroger

Jun 1, 2010
    One of the strings is being on a tailgate assignment at Great Lakes, buying a house and then being stop losed and transfered to Washington State.

Another is the possibility of never getting to use the benefits in the first place.

All I'm saving is joining the armed forces isn't a free ride to easy street.

10. Moon_beam

Moon_beam Heavy Load Member

Aug 29, 2012
    A friend of mine said that he read on Facebook that Dayton had 18 additional city drivers laid off Around August 18th. Speculation on the thread was that ABF quit hauling some freight after the new contract because it became unprofitable due to the new contract. Can anyone confirm any of this?

LtlAnonymous and Old_n_gray Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.