Abilene Motor Express....A New Place To Call Home

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by JohnBoy, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    Beware anyone or anything with "classy" in the description.

MidWest_MacDaddy and bigred81 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Barn Door Bill

Barn Door Bill Medium Load Member

Oct 6, 2015
    I'll wager a fiver on the notion that the Customs paperwork person at Hewlitt Packard moonlights in Traffic over at Hill Phoenix.

4. MidWest_MacDaddy

MidWest_MacDaddy Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    :sign5:

JohnBoy Thanks this.
  5. 460/580

460/580 Light Load Member

May 13, 2016
    Virginia
    Tuesday morning came in and got a nice easy run to bethel pa. It was short but was happy because the last 3 trips had been manhattan manhattan and a suburb just ne of nyc.

However.....got a call and had to swap loads with 1 driver in pa, then swap with another driver in nj, to then take his load to brooklyn. Dispatch wanted us to all swap at same time and place, but that wasnt gonna work so i just made it happen.

It was extra annoying because BOTH other drivers told me they dont do nyc. So much for that all points within the usa. Very few people like going to brooklyn, but i go when im told because thats my job. But i really hate when i have to do other peoples work because they just dont want to.

O well. Got a nice run to groveport this afternoon.

6. Barn Door Bill

Barn Door Bill Medium Load Member

Oct 6, 2015
    Now I know who to call next time I get that 4am to Brooklyn. ;)

MidWest_MacDaddy, 460/580 and JohnBoy Thank this.
  7. JohnBoy

JohnBoy Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Lake Worth, FL.
    39 years ago, when I first started in this business, my second load ever in a big truck was picking up at 24 Rock St. after all these years, I'm still going there. I wonder if I told Kimberley I don't do Brooklyn, what her response would be. That sign on the wall next to dispatch? Must be for some, because it sure isn't for all.

8. JohnBoy

JohnBoy Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Lake Worth, FL.
    I'm sitting at the TA in Wilsonville Oregon. Got my 5th and final stop off at 7am after driving 495 miles over night. I have 24 minutes left on my 70, but start good recapping at midnight. For now, bedtime.

Crusader66 Thanks this.
  9. runningman0661

runningman0661 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2009
    Clover, South Carolina
    If I owned the company and a driver dictated to me where he/she would or wouldn't go after being hired, I would promptly route them back to Richmond and say clean out your truck.

Crusader66, Lonesome and Finfn1372 Thank this.
  10. ExtremeUnction

ExtremeUnction Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2016
    Mechanicsville, VA
    There's that driver shortage, dontcha know?

But I'm with you guys. I go where they ask me to go. I'm dreading the day they ask me to drive to Brooklyn, because I go where they ask me to go, and if they ask me to go to Brooklyn, then I go to Brooklyn.

Currently, I am driving a load of some kind of black rubber safety equipment, like for speed bumps in parking lots and such. And it's wet. So it weighs more than the 44,800 listed on the BOL. There was a plant a half-mile from where I got loaded that let me use their scales. I just checked the gross. Came in at 79,780. And that was with the fuel gage about halfway between 1/4 tank and 1/2 tank.

I just pulled in to a Pilot to use their CAT scale for a more accurate reading. But I have a sneaking suspicion I'm going to spend most of this trip (going to San Antonio) riding the fuel gage.

Crusader66 and JohnBoy Thank this.
  11. RebelChick

RebelChick Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Coastal VA
    @ExtremeUnction -live and learn. If you know the load is going to be heavy, or even suspect that it is, go in fully fueled.

JohnBoy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.