Abilene Motor Express....A New Place To Call Home

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by JohnBoy, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    No harm in trying I guess. The reason why I am sceptical is that I was 29hrs early for the drop time. The live unload only really comes into play because the consignee said they would try to work me in. Its been 13hrs since they told me that though. I would not have entered the gates if I thought it would be so long.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ExtremeUnction

ExtremeUnction Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2016
    Mechanicsville, VA
    I just put in for detention whenever I pick up a load off the yard that needs to be reworked. I've done that a few times for Gatorade loads in reefers I've picked up off the Wytheville yard.

My rationale is that if it *had* been a live load, I would have gotten it re-worked then and there, and the whole thing would've taken more than two hours and I would've earned detention anyways. Plus, if it's supposed to be a hook-and-roll, the clock starts ticking immediately as far as I'm concerned, not two hours later. Spending two hours in a dock for a re-work is cutting into the time I have available for my next load, which costs me money.

4. p608

p608 Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2016
    You have made my point, the driver is not going to waste his/her time if they aren't getting paid, they company doesn't care because it's not costing them anything.

5. line

line Medium Load Member

Dec 28, 2017
    Whoever loaded that should be canned

6. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    What I was saying is that ensuring loads are legal is part of the job that we are paid for. Some drivers choose not to fully do their job because they feel they should receive additional pay for certain job functions.

Washing the truck is not part of my job therefore I cannot expect to get paid for doing so if I wash the truck myself. Ensuring my load is legal is part of my job and is therefore a function I am paid for when I accepted the rate of pay to work here.

7. mitrucker

mitrucker Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Lapeer, MI
    And whoever picked it up and dropped it on the yard should be fined or canned.

8. p608

p608 Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2016
    So is it the guy that does the p/u without pay job, or the driver that gets assigned to the load and gets paid for the load job? You can certainly understand that wasting 2-3 hrs for free is not very palatable so that somebody else can hook and go. There is no "right" answer, just my opinion.

Redtwin Thanks this.
  9. Evomalo

Evomalo Road Train Member

Apr 7, 2013
    The driver may have been out of hours. If I pick up something and drop it in the yard my day is usually done.
    The driver could have told someone and it never got past on. It could explain some of the instances. To be honest if I pick up near the yard and am dropping in the yard I'm not going to scale it. I will only scale if I'm crossing a scale.

10. keen98

keen98 Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2014
    If you are the 1 loading it and know its being passed onto another driver its a bs move to not scale it before dropping it for him.

JohnBoy Thanks this.
  11. JohnBoy

JohnBoy Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Lake Worth, FL.
    I scale every load that is even remotely questionable weight wise that I am swapping or dropping. I also leave a copy of the scale ticket with a note about my fuel level. I’m not going to not do my job and get another driver in a bind. It’s just common courtesy and professional. But hey, that’s just me.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.