Abilene Motor Express....A New Place To Call Home

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by JohnBoy, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Silverdriver

Silverdriver Road Train Member

Nov 19, 2013
    Redtwin did you know I'm a fortune teller. I'm looking into the crystal ball right now (Your Qualcomm) and I see many big miles for you! Where???? I see, I see, I see.... California!!!!! LOL! Sorry buddy .... LOL.... :eek::p:D

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    I worked for a company years ago, that hauled corrugated boxes in bales. They didn't want us working in the trailers, had a driver file an insurance claim. OK, fine with me.
    But then the company goes out and finds every mom and pop outfit, working out of their garage, or a storefront, without a dock, or even a forklift, as customers. Pull up, open the doors, and the seventy year old owner, who ordered the biggest boxes they made, looks in there, and says "how we supposed to get those outta there"? "Well, ya should of thought of that about 2 weeks ago, when you talked to the salesman...."

Vic Firth, MACK E-6 and JohnBoy Thank this.
  4. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Sounds like the knuckleheads we get that order enormous farm machinery that doesn’t fit on the liftgate.

“But, but... How I am I supposed to get that off of there?”

“Easy. Look in the yellow pages under towing companies and call the nearest one with a rollback”.

:laughing3:

5. Voyager1968

Voyager1968 Road Train Member

Sep 11, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'll be doing a 34 up at Frazier Park after delivering near Oxnard tomorrow morning...

If you were on I-40 we probably passed each other somewhere in the night...

Redtwin and JohnBoy Thank this.
  6. ExtremeUnction

ExtremeUnction Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2016
    Mechanicsville, VA
    Just finished my second Canada trip in one week. They always call me to ask me if I'm willing to go, like I've got the option to say "Nah, don't feel very Canadian today". I told 'em I don't mind running into Canada and I don't see what the big deal is, so they don't have to ask. We'll see what the future holds.

Thing I noticed, though: My GPS route is 624 miles just to get to the door of the first receiver, and then another 28 miles after that to the second receiver. But the load assignment is only paying a total of 580 miles. So now I'm curious as to how the route calculators in HQ are calculating this particular route.

My GPS routes me down the PA Turnpike to Pittsburgh, up 79 to Erie, then back over to Buffalo. Interstate the whole way. I fiddled around with the GPS for a bit, and found a route cutting up through central PA that knocked 64 miles off my GPS route -- but only knocked off about 2 minutes of estimated travel time.

So now I'm curious: For you folks who run from Richmond to Toronto on the regular, what route do you use?

7. JohnBoy

JohnBoy Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Lake Worth, FL.
    Same route you took. The route the company pays us in is north up to buffalo via Rte 219. That route is the heart of the snow belt, that’s why we go the way you did. In the non snowing months then yes, go that way. But in the snow months....no way in hell. Even though it’s longer, it’s actually quicker time wise.

8. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    Quite possible, I saw a few Abilene trucks heading West. I shut down in Kingman last night. I'm running right up against my 70 so only made it as far as Albuquerque today.

9. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    Our load mileage info only shows the US miles for some reason, I have always been paid for the full trip miles though. Of course that allows for the usual zip code vs odometer difference.

I stick to the interstate as you mentioned. I took that other route through central PA once and didn't care for it. It's not a bad route in good weather, but it isn't a whack on the cruise and kick back kind of road like the interstate/highway.

I never get asked if want to go to Canada, I just get dispatched same as any other destination. As long as paperwork is in order it isn't a bad run, especially when you get familiar with the usual destinations so you know the way in and know which ones you can sleep at etc. There is only one PITA lumber drop in Toronto. You have to back in off a fairly busy street so its a matter of hanging back and trying to time traffic coming from both directions before you make your move and block both lanes of traffic. You have to back through the strip mall parking lot to hit the dock so there are also shoppers driving around the lot you have to dodge also.

I have had a couple screwy Canada loads where I had to go to LL in Sandston then bring the load back to the yard and sit there waiting for the customs stuff to be done. Those I didn't like so much. Not only does that eat up your 14, I didn't get paid for the miles to Sandston and back. Why the customs paperwork cant be done and provided to me before i go get the load is beyond me.

ExtremeUnction Thanks this.
  10. ExtremeUnction

ExtremeUnction Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2016
    Mechanicsville, VA
    Oh, cool. I'll have to double check that come next payday. Ordinarily I don't care about the paid miles vs. odometer miles being off by a few percentage points. But this was off by 72 miles, which is pretty substantial.

The two times that's happened to me, I just rolled down the road and had 'em fax the customs paperwork to me at the PFJ in Porterville.

Redtwin Thanks this.
  11. JohnBoy

JohnBoy Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Lake Worth, FL.
    Look for me in the morning. I’ll be crossing the NM line at 6am local time.

Redtwin Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.