Abilene Motor Express....A New Place To Call Home

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by JohnBoy, Apr 10, 2013.

1. jarhead0311

jarhead0311 Road Train Member

Jun 17, 2013
    Buckhannon,WV
    Fun with clogged fuel filters this morning.....should be changed every 12-15,000 miles.....but what do I know, Im just a driver with almost 16 years experience between local and otr......

Barn Door Bill and JohnBoy Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JohnBoy

JohnBoy Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Lake Worth, FL.
    I’m on only my 2nd load since leaving the house this past Tuesday. From the amount of loaded trailers sitting in WM, talking with other drivers and a few people in dispatch, it seems as though we’re busier than usual. Add to that the 40 trucks out of the mix doing the Publix deal with you, OTR freight is good. I know we have 2 new customers in Jonesboro Ar, one being a baby wipe manufacturer that is working 24/7 loading trailers of wipes destined for parts unknown. I would say it’s good. The tell tale sign will be tomorrow morning when I drop this Reno load. If I’m planned first thing on a Monday morning with a load, then it’s all good.

MidWest_MacDaddy and Finfn1372 Thank this.
  4. ExtremeUnction

ExtremeUnction Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2016
    Mechanicsville, VA
    Do we still have 'em after the tornado that ripped through Jonesboro last week? Been wondering about that ever since I saw the videos of Jonesboro being chewed up and spit out by that tornado.

Barn Door Bill Thanks this.
  5. JohnBoy

Apr 24, 2009
    Lake Worth, FL.
    Yes. Both the rice company and the baby wipe place missed getting hit.

6. JohnBoy

Apr 24, 2009
    Lake Worth, FL.
    Here I go again, time for a rant. I was home for 15 days, 10 of them in quarantine. It was good for me, cleaned the house for my wife, made the bed every morning, played catch constantly with Ollie, and had him in the pool more time than I could count. On the morning I was leaving, I get 24 emails from Abilene/Knight/Swift. They consisted of training modules that I have to take and test out on each one. I was home for 2+ weeks and I have 10 days to complete them. I spent all day yesterday doing them and completed only 7. My rant? I’m being trained in things like teaching new drivers what fruits to eat, what to do on hometime, and how to relieve stress. Along with the same things that come along with driving one of these things. The redundancy and monotonous training over and over is off the charts.

I got to thinking and decided this is were I’m taking a stand. I have made sure I am self sufficient on this truck, I have everything I could possibly need during this crisis. I have seen over the years training, that most of my trainees are eating chips and drinking Mountain Dew for breakfast lunch and dinner. But the most important decision on why I’m not training until this passes? Having another human on this truck only doubles ones chances of getting this new and uncontrolled virus. I have no problem self containing myself driving this truck alone.

7. Barn Door Bill

Barn Door Bill Medium Load Member

Oct 6, 2015
    Babysitter trainers to make babysat drivers for all these new babysitter trucks. But hey, that's why they pay you Da Big Bux.:Transportation cost:thumbup:

tank4life, jarhead0311 and JohnBoy Thank this.
  8. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    Why do you feel that helping to teach a new driver needed skills, beyond just driving the TT are babysitter trainers? There is more to being a driver than just being a steering wheel holder. This is a lifestyle many new drivers will not have the full understanding of what they will need to live on the road. So helping to educate them with this information is a good thing. Remember something. If you are not learning something new, then you are pretty much falling behind. One should always strive to better themselves with knowledge. And if they have knowledge, share it with those who are wanting to learn it. Teaching a new driver the above things isn't babysitting. It is equipping them with knowledge that will help them succeed in their journey.

9. Barn Door Bill

Barn Door Bill Medium Load Member

Oct 6, 2015
    Indeed. That said, however, the trucks that Abilene specifically has been purchasing are equipped with "safety features" that seem designed to actively discourage much of what makes a driver a driver and encourage the seat filler to sit back and, well, hold the steering wheel. I can't imagine our parent entity isn't buying the same.

I could probably have articulated that better buuuut I went with the alliterative repetition instead.

JohnBoy, jarhead0311 and Lonesome Thank this.
  10. jarhead0311

jarhead0311 Road Train Member

Jun 17, 2013
    Buckhannon,WV
    Well, show up15 min early for 1430 appt thinking Ill get a dock door. Nope, park on the dirt road and wait for a text message....I know this is a grocery warehouse but they need to be more efficient than this. Two pallets with 130 cans of enchilada sauce is all I have.....shoulda been in and out so I could go on my home time.

Lonesome, JohnBoy and Barn Door Bill Thank this.
  11. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    Yeah safety gear is good, but nanny gear sucks arse. I for sure want a trainer that gives me as much information as possible about the life I'll be dealing with on the road. I've been getting a pretty good picture of that, and lately have been "nomading" at home anyways in my SUV. As well as all the great info from the regulars on here. But I want that trainer to be real and also push me hard to make sure I know what the heck I am doing before I go solo on my own. I know the driving, for the most part is gonna be more common sense and remembering that I have a tank that will roll over things. It is gonna be the backing and such that is gonna take me the most time to master. Patience and dedication is what I have and will use to make it a success.

dwells40, JohnBoy and Barn Door Bill Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.