Abilene Motor Express....A New Place To Call Home

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by JohnBoy, Apr 10, 2013.

1. RebelChick

RebelChick Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Coastal VA
    My truck finally got sent to the dealer Wednesday. Called them this afternoon and was told there was a short down by the batteries. Fixed. Not even 24 hours after being sent to the shop. They’re just waiting on the part to fix the recalled passenger upper bunk window now. Should be back to work Saturday. No worries. I spent my time off wisely.

D3F9C3DE-B415-45E4-9215-D78EB9602F31.jpeg 650BA2D9-84FD-41DE-945C-F24807093E61.jpeg F3F5889A-400A-46CF-AE82-0026DBEAA28B.jpeg

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JohnBoy

JohnBoy Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Lake Worth, FL.
    isnt trucking great?

4. jarhead0311

jarhead0311 Road Train Member

Jun 17, 2013
    Buckhannon,WV
    Dropped in New Castle yesterday and picked up Gatorade to Wytheville and dropped that and got more Gatorade to Memphis. I just realized I only gain 8:40 tomorrow since Im recapping.....may not make it there being a heavy load. Might have to drop it at the yard Sat since it says drop M-F on the Qualcomm. Might just do a reset in WM, hate recapping anyway.

Finfn1372 Thanks this.
  5. ExtremeUnction

ExtremeUnction Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2016
    Mechanicsville, VA
    Got back in the truck Tuesday after having the weekend off. They did a PM on the truck over the weekend. Replaced the steers. Replaced the batteries. Truck was running fine, but the bunk electricity wouldn't stay on. Kept turning itself off. Shrugged and bobtailed down to Hill-Phoenix to grab a trailer headed for Kennesaw, GA. Due that night at 8:00pm. The battery gauge was a little on the low side, but nothing to panic over. Figured the trip down the road would charge it back up.

Got to HP and it was even lower than it had been when I started. Not a LOT lower, but lower. So, new plan, hook the trailer, take it back to the yard, and have them look at my truck.

Having the trailer attached drained the battery even more seriously than before. By the time I got back to the exit for our yard, the truck had completely derated. Was still running, but wouldn't go faster than about 10mph. Got it onto the yard and was trying to turn it around to take it to the shop when it just stopped going forward. Didn't stall out or anything, just had derated to the point where the computery bits controlling the truck refused to actually give it any gas or acceleration. So they had to come fix my truck in the middle of the parking lot.

Turns out that one of the battery cables had "come loose". Which I interpret to mean that whoever replaced the batteries didn't do a very good job reattaching the cables. Fortunately, it was an easy fix and I was able to make on-time delivery later that night.

Picked up a load of pallets yesterday, due in Ridgeway, VA today. Got there early and they unloaded me. One of those places that has absolutely no signs anywhere to indicate what you're supposed to do or where you're supposed to go, and then the people get shirty with you when you don't go to where you're supposed to go and do what you're supposed to do. Like it's my fault they didn't put up any signs.

Current load is a bucket list load. Hauling another HP load, this time to Maine. First time I've been to Maine in any capacity, so I get to check that one off. After that, the only truck-accessible states left that I haven't visited are North Dakota, South Dakota, Montana, and Alaska.

Really would like one of those rare Alaska loads. Don't know if we even do 'em anymore. I remember being told by Alan D. that they don't like giving those loads to solo drivers because it basically takes 'em out of circulation for two weeks.

Spending the night at the Maryland DOT inspection station at Havre de Grace. Rolled in with 7 minutes to spare on my 14. Every time I spend the night at a weigh station, I always think about my training manual all those years ago that told us not to do it. I've done it a few times, though, and it's always been uneventful.

Lonesome, dwells40 and Finfn1372 Thank this.
  6. MidWest_MacDaddy

MidWest_MacDaddy Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    I’d love to do that sometime... but ya, I’d be using up a week of home time along the way.

7. Barn Door Bill

Barn Door Bill Medium Load Member

Oct 6, 2015
    That particular pair of 'houses is among the few weigh stations I count on when trip planning. I've stayed on either side plenty of times. Quiet, never full, and the one time I got inspected it was in the middle of the day. Probably the only place in Maryland I actually like sleeping, if I have to.

ExtremeUnction Thanks this.
  8. Finfn1372

Finfn1372 Road Train Member

Aug 7, 2014
    Greenville,NC
    Sitting at my 1st stop in Jacksonville,than I have to run to 250 miles,with 1 pallet to Sarasota.

Have a preplan pu at coke in Dunedin,Fl in morning,dropping at the Richmond yard.

9. JohnBoy

JohnBoy Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Lake Worth, FL.
    Got home at 3am after dropping at Volvo Jacksonville last night. No empties so I called into dispatch. Here’s the abridged version of the conversation.

Me: “hey there, (unrecognized voice. New guy?) no empties here at Volvo.”

Him: you’ll have to wait until Monday morning on an empty.

Me: (trying not to bust out laughing) “dude, I’m 2 days late getting home, I’m going home as planned with or without a trailer. We’ll work this out next Friday”

Him: hold on.

Me: quit holding, went home bobtail. Still waiting though.

10. Bogesey

Bogesey Bobtail Member

Feb 6, 2021
    hold on...........lol

JoeyJunk and JohnBoy Thank this.
  11. MidWest_MacDaddy

MidWest_MacDaddy Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    “Me: quit holding, went home”... lol

JoeyJunk Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.