Abilene Motor Express....A New Place To Call Home

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by JohnBoy, Apr 10, 2013.

1. joseph1135

joseph1135 Papa Murphy

Nov 8, 2009
    The Highway To Hell.
    Good luck JohnBoy. My first trip in with the new company and I knew I made the right choice (although I've never seen the right side of certain company trucks until I came here).

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Jersey Mike

Jersey Mike Bobtail Member

Jun 19, 2012
    Hackettstown, NJ
    Well Now, This Is Exciting. Abilene Is On My Very Short List Too....

4. JohnBoy

JohnBoy Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Lake Worth, FL.
    Day one of orientation is in the books. Very impressed with the whole operation, the way they do things and the way they take care of the equipment. I got to the terminal at 7:30 this morning. There was me, a husband/wife team 2 other solo drivers and a military guy that served our country for 5 years in Afghanistan but needed a refresher course because he didn't have enough recent OTR experience. Seems to me running around a third world country in a war zone for the US should be worth at least recent experience in a big truck.

We all sat at a long conference table with our company policy and procedures manual with our names on them in front of us. Our instructor got right into the teaching mode. We had a ton of paperwork to fill out, that took us to the lunch break. Right after lunch we all went to get our physicals and drug tests. We also had to take an agility test to make sure we can lower and raise the landing gear, pull the fifth wheel pin, lift a 50lb bag that duplicates handling a bag of tire chains, climb a ladder showing we can get into and out of the trailer, pull a weighted sled to show we can push and pull a pallet jack and a bag showing that we can lift our overnight bag and put it into the truck without any of us keeling over from a heart attack or stroke. Because I already took my drug test 2 weeks ago I won't need to wait to take my road test in the morning. Tomorrow we will meet with various department heads to discuss paperwork, fuel, logs/Qualcomm and dispatch. When that's all done we will get our truck assignments, then I can put my belongings in there and bring this rental car back. Myself and the team are being dispatched tomorrow night, the others will be dispatched on Wednesday.

I promised myself that I wouldn't compare Abilene with my previous company and I won't, but let me just say this, every truck, trailer and shop bay are spotless, we have to go over our assigned truck with a shop person and note every ding, scratch and cleanliness of truck. I'm a clean freak, these people seem worse than me. I have some work to do tonight so this will be it. I'll post again tomorrow night.

5. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    Good luck with the new adventure!

6. Jrdude5

Jrdude5 Heavy Load Member

Mar 26, 2013
    New York, NY
    Good luck Johnboy looking forward to your new adventures glad I am here from the start and not trying to play catch up from 300 pages back lol be safe god bless..

7. Bumper

Bumper Road Train Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Kingsport, Tennessee
    They must be really working you to the bone John, where you hiding??

8. JohnBoy

Apr 24, 2009
    Lake Worth, FL.
    They have. Sorry for the delay in posting. I'll post my doings tonight after I start my 10.

9. JohnBoy

Apr 24, 2009
    Lake Worth, FL.
    Finally, I'm able to catch my breath. Tuesday was a long and final day of orientation. We met different department heads, the owner of the company and then had our road test. At 6pm we got our truck assignment and went over them with a fine tooth comb. I went back to the motel and got my stuff from the room to put in the new digs. I was told to get back asap and go see dispatch. Here's one thing that I question, after cramming 3 days of orientation into 2, I was totally spent. There's only so much that this 57 year old brain can absorb in such a short period. I was hoping that they would tell me to be back first thing in the morning, but instead they dispatched me to drop and hook at a customer 16 miles from the yard and be in Hebron Ky by 6pm. I set up house in this unbelievably spotless 2013 Volvo 780 and was finished about 11pm. I hooked to and empty then laid down until 2:30am then started my first load with Abilene. I got to the customer at 3am, drop and hooked then had a 573 mile drive to drop and hook on the other end. I stopped in Raphine Va for breakfast and a shower then drove straight to the receiver. I was in and out in 20 minutes and went to the TA to take my break.

I woke up the next morning to the sound of my Qualcomm chirping. I was dispatched on a load that picked up down in Murray Ky going to Birmingham Al with 2 drops. I got those off this morning. While sitting at my first drop I got my next dispatch, deadhead down to Mobile and load a load going to Richmond. I got loaded this evening, got to the Pilot north of town, fueled and scaled and will be in Richmond early Sunday morning. The plan is to drop this load on the yard and get one to Miami. I should be home Monday early evening and empty on Tuesday. That will give me right at 3300 miles for the week. Not bad for my first week.

Abilene is run so completely different that the old company, much more computer work both for dispatch and logs. There's a big learning curve but I figure with everything I've done so far no one has called me or messaged me that anything is wrong, so I must be doing something right. I like it here, like I've been told by everyone, do your job and they will leave you alone. So far so good.

I do have to give a shout out to Runningman0661. He's been so very helpful, answers my calls when I've bothered him and has called me to make sure I'm not walking around with my head up in the clouds, thanks Jason, very much appreciated!

10. diabello

diabello Light Load Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Las Vegas
    Sounds like a busy week, but nice to be running hard. I always see Abilene with nice equipment and looks like they care about their image.

11. Voyager1968

Voyager1968 Road Train Member

Sep 11, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yeah, that's my one pet peeve about orientations and truck assignments. I've found that in most instances, most companies get you dispatched ASAP after getting assigned a truck. This gives you no time to set up shop, get anything that may be wrong with the truck fixed, and/or just catch your breath a bit after orientation. I too, would prefer to finish up orientation, and then get dispatched on my first load the following morning.

Anyway, that being said, it sounds and looks like you had a productive and positive first week. I wish you many more of the same my friend. Stay safe out there and thanks again for sharing your adventures with us.

nextgentrucker and JohnBoy Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.