Abilene Motor Express....A New Place To Call Home

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by JohnBoy, Apr 10, 2013.

1. ExtremeUnction

ExtremeUnction Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2016
    Mechanicsville, VA
    Irritable Truck Syndrome?

Lonesome and JohnBoy Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ExtremeUnction

Apr 24, 2016
    Mechanicsville, VA
    Bringing us the breaking news from 3 years ago, my dude.

4. JohnBoy

JohnBoy Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Lake Worth, FL.
    Jeez, I missed it?

5. BigBob410

BigBob410 Road Train Member

Feb 2, 2016
    Beirut on the Bay, MD.
    Something about another company and another company and then there was another and some green trucks...I think.;)

6. Finfn1372

Finfn1372 Road Train Member

Aug 7, 2014
    Greenville,NC
    @JohnBoy do you know anything about,the bh in Jupiter and Palm City ,Fl?

7. JohnBoy

Apr 24, 2009
    Lake Worth, FL.

Yes for both.

8. Finfn1372

Aug 7, 2014
    Greenville,NC
    Will they take early delivery?If not it's ok thanks.

9. JohnBoy

Apr 24, 2009
    Lake Worth, FL.
    Yes for both. The only thing with Jupiter is if they’re busy. They only have one dock. Palm City also has one dock, but every time I’ve been there, they came out with a pallet Jack, forklift and about 3 helpers and had me unloaded in 15 minutes.

10. Finfn1372

Aug 7, 2014
    Greenville,NC
    In Savannah called them up,both said they would take it early.

Y'all can officially put me on the list with the drivers who think these volvo seats suck.

Lonesome and JohnBoy Thank this.
  11. ExtremeUnction

Apr 24, 2016
    Mechanicsville, VA
    When I first started driving a truck, I figured that Abilene cared about all their loads. I dutifully inform my DM any time circumstances conspire to make me late for an appointment. Usually those circumstances involve being given a load that requires wings and a jet engine on this bucket to make the appointment on time. Occasionally those circumstances involve being given a load that requires a functioning time machine to make the appointment on time.

The load they gave me to get out of California, for example. When I got the load, I had 42 hours left on my 70. But the receiver was 45 hours away. I knew from experience that I could shave off some of that ETA, but I also know from experience that I wouldn't be able to shave off the whole 3 hours. So I let 'em know when I picked up the load on Thursday.

And then I let my DM know again on Friday.

And then I called dispatch to let 'em know again on Saturday, since my plan was to finish up in West Memphis.

Never heard anything from 'em.

And what I have come to realize is that Abilene will pull lots of strings to keep its own major customers happy (Hill-Phoenix, Boar's Head, Sabra, Volvo, etc). But they are generally not going to go out of their way to rescue a broker load. This was made clear to me last night when I got a load assignment to swap trailers with another driver. But he was not rescuing my load. I was rescuing his load, since he was hauling a Boar's Head load from Groveport and didn't have the HOS to make on-time delivery.

Turns out, the load I had hauled from California, the one I would not be able to deliver on time, had been rescheduled.

Nobody bothered to tell me. I found out from the other driver at 10pm last night when I was giving him the paperwork.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.