Abilene Motor Express....A New Place To Call Home

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by JohnBoy, Apr 10, 2013.

1. ExtremeUnction

ExtremeUnction Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2016
    Mechanicsville, VA
    It's a balmy 72F here in my truck.

Lonesome, Flatbedder 1966 and JohnBoy Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mitrucker

mitrucker Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Lapeer, MI
    81F and cloudy here in Bridgeport, MI

JohnBoy Thanks this.
  4. MidWest_MacDaddy

MidWest_MacDaddy Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    Same

5. JohnBoy

JohnBoy Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Lake Worth, FL.
    Just in case anyone missed the news coming out of Wyoming. It’s winter time, and with that, comes the assorted wrecks, jackknife’s and winter driving conditions.

6. ExtremeUnction

Apr 24, 2016
    Mechanicsville, VA
    Traffic going northbound on I-95 slowed me to a 40MPH average for a couple hours yesterday, making it impossible to run my load of refrigeration equpiment all the way to Danvers, MA before running out of HOS. Swapped with another driver at Vince Lombardi and grabbed his load of tobacco going to South Windsor, CT.

Got a pre-plan last night for the subsequent load: Hop over to West Hazleton, PA to pick up a load of plastic containers and take 'em to Ashland, VA. Great! Straight shot across I-84 from Waterbury, skip all that nasty NYC traffic. After the tobacco was unloaded, I punched in the new load assignment and hit the road.

And then I got a text message from my DM.

"We took you off that load. Sending you to North Bergen."

So instead of a nice, easy, no-traffic drive across the Poconos, I spent 2hrs 20 minutes driving six miles across the Cross-Bronx Expressway.

Load assignment says to have this in South Hill by 8:00am. I ain't gonna make it.

Flatbedder 1966, Lonesome and JohnBoy Thank this.
  7. JohnBoy

Apr 24, 2009
    Lake Worth, FL.
    Last time I did that North Bergen was on a Friday night, pouring down rain, then made it as far as the Molly Pitcher service plaza on the TPK. Called in at 9am the next morning to tell them I wasn’t going to make South Hill in an hour. Had me drop it in RVA.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
    Lonesome and ExtremeUnction Thank this.
  8. ExtremeUnction

Apr 24, 2016
    Mechanicsville, VA
    My previous experience with this load suggests that the delivery time on the load assignment is basically wishful thinking on the part of the load planner.

Like the Volvo loads, as long as you get it there on the right day, they're happy.

Flatbedder 1966, Lonesome and JohnBoy Thank this.
  9. JohnBoy

Apr 24, 2009
    Lake Worth, FL.
    Exactly.

Flatbedder 1966 and Lonesome Thank this.
  10. JustCallMeDriver

JustCallMeDriver Light Load Member

May 5, 2021
    Been a while since none of the numbers in the app worked as a pickup number

There's always more in there than Qualcomm for when that one doesn't work

But today, nah, none work

11. ExtremeUnction

Apr 24, 2016
    Mechanicsville, VA
    Woke up this morning at the Richard Stockton travel plaza on the NJTPK, hauling a load of blue jeans to South Hill, VA.

I got hometime coming up, and I didn't figure they'd have much to offer me in terms of getting me out and back by tomorrow. So I was anticipating a deadhead back to the yard and an early day off.

Surprise surprise, though, about an hour from delivery I get a phone call from HQ. They wanna know if they can give me a short run to the Eastern Shore. Hill-Phoenix load, due at a Family Dollar at 6:00am. They told me they were in kind of a bind and it would really help 'em out. So I said "Sure."

Made my way through tunnel traffic in Hampton, coasted up the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel, and am now parked just across the MD-VA state line at the Family Dollar in Pocomoke City, MD.

Little bump in the road town, but I just had shrimp chimichangas for dinner, so it ain't all bad.

Hopefully they'll just deadhead me back home tomorrow.

10hrs 50min of driving, and 625 miles for the day. Not bad at all for staying entirely in New Jersey, Maryland, and Virginia.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.