Abilene Motor Express....A New Place To Call Home

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by JohnBoy, Apr 10, 2013.

1. BM 58

BM 58 Heavy Load Member

Jun 25, 2019
    I deliver to a lot of job site’s myself. Don’t rely on the mirror foggers in my office to call ahead or I’d be screwed every time.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jarhead0311

jarhead0311 Road Train Member

Jun 17, 2013
    Buckhannon,WV
    Family Dollar lot is a sheet of ice and Im stuck....bad thing is I have make it all the way in cuz I have to go out the other side to make a right turn and go back the way I came to get out of here due to a bridge being out. I threw some kitty litter and ice melt down, maybe it will help. Figured chains would be no good on ice. Contractor said he has to use a towtruck to unload me so maybe they can help. Mean while Ill just sit here in my warm cab cuz it is freezing out. #### auto shifts....I miss having a stick....

Last edited: Jan 8, 2022
  4. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    That means some chair weight might have to interrupt their game of Candy Crush to do something work related, and that would be intolerable. :rolleyes:

5. jarhead0311

Jun 17, 2013
    Buckhannon,WV
    Well, had the police show up to block traffic so I could back out onto the main road and park in the middle turning lane until the contractor got stuff situated. Contractor couldn't get a tow truck to come out to get the coolers unloaded because they were all busy, every company he called were busy. Plus the little side road next to family dollar was a sheet of ice and behind the store was ice too where he needed to take the coolers. Contractor had other jobs in the area to do today and all week so his bosses said they were going to get everything rescheduled with hill phoenix and their corporate ppl being they can't put off the other jobs and make those customers wait. So it is indefinite when that contractor was going to be able to come back. Contractor left to do the other jobs and I call the weekend dispatch to see if they want me to just go to Wytheville and drop the load until sorted out. They sent me a deadhead move to Wytheville yesterday anyway for when I got empty. Idiots told me to wait cuz there was ppl coming to scrape and salt the ice according to whoever he talked to. That was true, police officer told us he got the city on the horn and they were coming to scrape and salt the lot and side roads near the store but the contractor wasn't going to be able to unload me anyway due to the tow truck issue plus the contractor left as I said earlier. Idiots argued anyway telling me to stay put cuz of the city coming to plow and salt. I told them several times the contractor was gone already and wasn't coming back and the corporate big wigs were going to handle stuff. Bet Ill sit all weekend cuz nobody is listening to me and nobody in the hill phoenix offices til Monday anyway....I hate stupid ppl....

6. Grouch

Grouch Road Train Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Between here and eternity
    The Peter Principle on full display. Reminds me of some years ago when I was working for Overnite, we had 4 Pizza ovens come in going to the Pizza parlor here. Upon attempted delivery, the contractor informed the driver that they were not ready for the ovens yet. Ok, call us when you are ready. So the ovens came back to the terminal. After a month, the contractor called. The contractor was informed the original bill was $1200, now it is $3300. Storage and redelivery, cash or certified check before the ovens are taken off the trailer. The contractor had a "stroke". LOL

7. Bumper

Bumper Road Train Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Kingsport, Tennessee
    I once delivered an entire stainless steel kitchen to a supplier in Utah. It was for a new middle school in town. The owner came out and refused the delivery. I told him that was not up to me. Turns out that the new middle school in town was still a mud lot and wouldnt be built for a year. He took the delivery hoping he could sell it alot sooner than that. He also fired his purchaser on the spot. I watched that one happen.

8. jarhead0311

Jun 17, 2013
    Buckhannon,WV
    Hahaha! Im putting in for layover pay if they leave me sit. They were going to deadhead me to the Wytheville yard anyway after empty and it is only 256 miles away, way cheaper to pay me the mileage pay than layover pay all weekend. Their money though but I bet someone will get a butt chewing for leaving me sit all weekend and they will try to point fingers at me I bet and tell lies. All I can do is relay what the contractor told me, these coolers aren't getting unloaded any time soon according to how busy the contractor was with other stores.

MidWest_MacDaddy and Lonesome Thank this.
  9. ExtremeUnction

ExtremeUnction Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2016
    Mechanicsville, VA
    Hill-Phoenix is our biggest customer, and Family Dollar is their biggest customer. So nobody wants to be the one to make the decision that's gonna come back and bite 'em on the ###.

Me, I'd find a nearby truck stop, park 'til Monday, then put in for two days of layover.

10. jarhead0311

Jun 17, 2013
    Buckhannon,WV
    That is what I did, parked at the Love's 20 miles from the store. Was worried I wasn't going to get paid the layover though.

MidWest_MacDaddy, Lonesome and xlsdraw Thank this.
  11. RebelChick

RebelChick Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Coastal VA
    Here is a perfect example of when to use email, Qualcomm, texts, etc. for any communication to dispatch. I would have also gotten the contractor to put something in writing as to his comments. That way, you’re for sure covered (although, as we all know, it is always the drivers fault). AND I would NOT contact dispatch again until Monday morning. Find you somewhere decent to sit and wait. And then watch the poo poo show unfold Monday.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.