Abilene Motor Express....A New Place To Call Home

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by JohnBoy, Apr 10, 2013.

1. jarhead0311

jarhead0311 Road Train Member

Jun 17, 2013
    Buckhannon,WV
    Hill Phoenix loads weren't ready so getting bobtailed to Sysco in Front Royal to grab an empty reefer and drop it in Groveport.

Finfn1372 and Lonesome Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ExtremeUnction

ExtremeUnction Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2016
    Mechanicsville, VA
    My load to Jessup, PA to pick up bulk liquid containers was switched today to picking up a Hill-Phoenix/Family Dollar load. I was the only driver in all of the Northeast who had the hours to make on-time delivery.

Load had been taken to that warehouse in North Bergen where we pick up the blue jeans and take 'em to South Hill. Warehouse allowed 'em to drop the loaded trailer on their yard, and I rolled in a few hours later with an empty to swap out. Nice of the warehouse to be our drop yard temporarily.

The load assignment alleges, as always, that it's a 6:00am delivery time. However, experience leads me to suspect that this is a vicious lie.

Talked to the on-duty manager, and he knows nothing at all about it. He said "Well, I hope everybody shows up tomorrow for you." I replied "I get paid either way, so..."

Nice thing about these Must Be There At 6:00am loads is that the contractors very often don't even show up until 8:00am, which is when the detention clock starts ticking.

4. RebelChick

RebelChick Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Coastal VA
    It does help with getting into those tiny parking lots when no cars are in there, though.

MidWest_MacDaddy and jarhead0311 Thank this.
  5. ExtremeUnction

Apr 24, 2016
    Mechanicsville, VA
    6:22am for my 6:00am delivery. Store manager just showed up, said they haven't heard anything. Said they sent an email to the project manager and never heard anything back. Contractor not here, of course.

Apparently this is one of the trailers that did not get assigned last weekend.

After this I have a preload to pick up coat hangers for the prison and drop 'em on the yard. Hopefully I can beat out the big snowstorm expected to hit everything north of Richmond this weekend.

6. ExtremeUnction

Apr 24, 2016
    Mechanicsville, VA
    Contractor showed up at 7:30-ish. Said that's when their appointment was.

Contractors that do this for Family Dollar are actually Family Dollar employees, not independent 3rd parties like in most other places. Dude said he knew we show up at 6:00am, but his appointment was for 7:30 so that's when he got here.

Already one hour of detention under my belt.

Lonesome, jarhead0311 and dwells40 Thank this.
  7. Grouch

Grouch Road Train Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Between here and eternity
    Hardest money made!

jarhead0311 and ExtremeUnction Thank this.
  8. Finfn1372

Finfn1372 Road Train Member

Aug 7, 2014
    Greenville,NC
    Taking hometime up in Richmond,have a load to IL for Tuesday morning.

Everybody be safe with the storms.

Lonesome, jarhead0311 and JohnBoy Thank this.
  9. jarhead0311

jarhead0311 Road Train Member

Jun 17, 2013
    Buckhannon,WV
    Picked up a load off the swift yard in Columbus and dropped it on the Wytheville yard. Stopped at Loves on 35 for a bathroom break and decided against my better judgement to hit up the roller grill being they had German sausages on their and being of German descent I like my sausages, lol! Get 3 and ration them throughout the rest of my trip. Boy did they ever wreak havoc on my gut and had me running for the bathroom when I hit Wytheville, lol! Next load is off the yard to Family Dollar DC in Ashley, IN then a reset being Ill be out of hrs. 4300 mile week, Ill take it when I can get it....

10. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Richmond should be okay. The coast on the other hand is going to get hammered.

11. ExtremeUnction

Apr 24, 2016
    Mechanicsville, VA
    The excitement continues here in the northeast!

I emerged from the Family Dollar delivery this morning with 2.5 hours of detention, and a firm plan to grab the coat hangers in Secaucus and hunker down at one of the service plazas on the NJ Turnpike. The NE planner had other ideas, however, because about 45 minutes into my drive I get a phone call from my DM. Seems they want me to drive to Holbrook, MA and pick up a loaded trailer from another driver. The other driver is on hometime, and he thought he was going to deliver the load on Monday when he came back out. However, there was a BOL mix-up and his load was actually due today...back in New Hampshire, where I'd just left.

Made it down to Holbrook, dropped my empty, grabbed his loaded trailer, and schlepped it up to the WalMart DC in Raymond, NH. They still left the coat hanger load on me as a backhaul, because those things typically sit on the yard for weeks before they're actually delivered to the prison so there's no sense of urgency. But by the time I'd made it back up to the place I'd just left, I didn't have enough hours to make it to Jersey.

Told my DM that I was probably going to wind up taking a weather-related 34 if the forecasts were any indication. He said that was fine. So I am currently posted up at the TA in Willington, CT, and we'll see what the weather is like in the morning.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.