Abilene Motor Express....A New Place To Call Home

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by JohnBoy, Apr 10, 2013.

1. mitrucker

mitrucker Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Lapeer, MI
    The way things are now, that same kid would never work in a parts dept. These kids now would only want to do daddy’s job.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JohnBoy

JohnBoy Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Lake Worth, FL.
    I’m so glad my life today is about how I can schedule our Greek itinerary this summer. Everything else takes a back seat. Not to say my job negotiating this truck across the country is put on the back burner. But truth be told, after 42 years of this BS, it’s time to count the days to the end zone. There’s another thread on TTR about how drivers are treated, loyalty, ends to a means, job hunting after 30 years of this, yadda yadda. Here’s my take on all this, how am I treated? With 16 more months, I’ve developed thick skin over the last 4 million miles, I can handle it. Loyalty? As long as my check is deposited every Friday morning at 2am, I’m the most loyal SOB on earth. Abilene, Knight/Swift Holdings are put in the same category as any other trucking company. Give me the freight, keep me moving, get me home for a week every 3 weeks, and I’ll give you safety, OTD, and I’ll do my job as hired to do. Everything else, don’t care. I have nothing to prove to anyone, 10 years here has really made my job rather easy. I’m finishing up a reset 60 miles north of my Boars Head delivery in Austin Texas that I’ve been to a half dozen times for tomorrow, got my reload Friday as I was leaving Groveport to reload in San Antonio and bring it back to the Richmond yard. Didn’t really need a reset, but the 34 hours off seemed rather nice in this 60 degree temperature. My problem? It’s abundantly clear what this industry has turned into. And based on what I’ve seen over the last 15 years, these companies, shippers and receivers have earned everything they’ve gotten. If this job was to end right now at this Loves in Troy Texas, my biggest problem would be if I was to get home tonight or tomorrow. Then on my trip home, decide if I want to retire now, or find another job for the next 16 months.

It’s a shame that an industry that has been so good to me, has allowed me to become financially secure, and allowed me to work everyday for the last 42 years, has gone down the crapper. I can’t for the life of me, see anything appealing that would make a new driver say, “that’s my new career” Based on all the BS regulations, company policies, shippers/receivers, lack of parking, the learning curve, being a barista at a Starbucks is a rather appealing job. Mess up a Mocha Latte with caramel swizzle, and you go home tonight, tomorrow is another day. Mess up an 80K pound weapon of mass destruction on an icy wind driven Wyoming road, you’ll be out of a job immediately, figuring out how you’re getting home, and more than likely in debt trying to pay off your student loan all the while becoming unemployable in your new found career. Oh well, the way this industry has turned, it will give me an abundance of reading material when my 16 months is up.

4. JohnBoy

Apr 24, 2009
    Lake Worth, FL.
    Let me introduce Vivian Claire, our newest granddaughter. Born this morning at 0845. Mother and daughter are doing just fine. This is what it’s all about!! 8E1BBA1F-2571-49B3-8C67-5C3FAA44F5B0.jpeg

5. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
  6. JohnBoy

Apr 24, 2009
    Lake Worth, FL.
    Note to anyone that might get stuck IN the West Memphis yard the next time they have one of their patented ice storms. The electronic fence will quit working. Ask me how I know. So, at 0700 yesterday morning, about 5 of us super truckers that were stuck on either side of the fence trying to get in and out, put our collective minds together and figured it out. First, chip away the ice that the wheels are stuck in. Next, on either electronic box, open the rubber flap, pull the handle that will release the chain, then boom, push open each side. Done. Now, not to really complain about this part, don’t waste your time calling into Richmond, all they’ll do is send out an email. I did call Nan then Jeff, but of course it was Friday night into Saturday morning, in West Memphis, so everyone was either hungover, or in jail.

7. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
  8. runningman0661

runningman0661 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2009
    Clover, South Carolina
    Very well said JB, I couldn’t agree more.

9. jarhead0311

jarhead0311 Road Train Member

Jun 17, 2013
    Buckhannon,WV
    Sanford took me a day early today but no freight so they bounced me to the pooler yard to drop my reefer and will see what they come up with tomorrow.

10. navypoppop

navypoppop Heavy Load Member

Dec 4, 2014
    Winter Haven, Fl.
    JohnBoy you are an inspiration to the profession. The way you handle your life situations and attitude towards moving forward are the best. I too faced the end of my career back in 2011 and decided after 44 years and 3 million hard fought miles it was time to hang it up. I never looked back with regrets but I still love trucks and miss the driving but the 5th wheel in my avatar makes it a little easier. I thank you for your thread and posts. You are great. Oh and congratulations to you and your family for a beautiful granddaughter.

11. JohnBoy

Apr 24, 2009
    Lake Worth, FL.
    Thank you sir! Overall, the profession has been very good to me. I keep saying though, seeing how it’s changed, if I was to go back to March of ‘78 when I started, knowing what I know today, this wouldn’t even be on my radar for a career choice. That’s a shame. But, life is what it is. My joy today? Getting home to see our new granddaughter. That, is what makes me happy.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.