Abilene Motor Express....A New Place To Call Home

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by JohnBoy, Apr 10, 2013.

1. ExtremeUnction

ExtremeUnction Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2016
    Mechanicsville, VA
    Fantastic news, my man.

Lonesome and JohnBoy Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JohnBoy

JohnBoy Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Lake Worth, FL.
    Thank you.

4. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    Great news, JB!

Finfn1372 and JohnBoy Thank this.
  5. JohnBoy

Apr 24, 2009
    Lake Worth, FL.
    Thank you Sir.

6. MidWest_MacDaddy

MidWest_MacDaddy Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    At some point these companies become too big to fail then there is no downside for failure when Uncle Sam bails them out. With banking they are talking about having “fewer but more regulated” banks… great, making them even more “too big to fail”… ugh

The following is not a political statement but the only thing I’ve agreed with the current resident of 1600 was when he said he was a Capitalist but that means we have to have competition… while I don’t believe he is a Capitalist, I do agree that more smaller companies actually competing with each other is healthy for all.

@JohnBoy Also, very glad to hear your mom kicked butt and took names!!!

7. JohnBoy

Apr 24, 2009
    Lake Worth, FL.
    Thanks my friend.

MidWest_MacDaddy and Lonesome Thank this.
  8. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    Guess I wasn't needed......

9. Finfn1372

Finfn1372 Road Train Member

Aug 7, 2014
    Greenville,NC
    At the homebase,leaving in the morning for Groveport,than the 2 stopper to Mo.

jarhead0311, Lonesome and JohnBoy Thank this.
  10. jarhead0311

jarhead0311 Road Train Member

Jun 17, 2013
    Buckhannon,WV
    Dropped load on the Richmond yard and need a 34. Gave me a list of empty trucks to look at and all of them got issues….the ‘21 860 Id like to move into throwing multiple codes including engine will derate in 48 minutes. Though I suspect the derate code is due to the def meter below empty, fuel is full but no def or the gauge is wrong or it could be it leaked out. The ‘21 small volvo I looked at is saying check transmission. The others are 20’s and Id rather not go backwards in trucks. Sad part is both 21’s look like they had fresh PM’sdone and one would think they would see the messages showing on the dash…..getting real frustrated here with equipment and most of it is because idiot drivers don’t keep up with maintenance and wait til catastrophic failure before they say anything and cry they need a new truck…..they want me to move because I got 467k on this 21’ 860 volvo Im in now.

Lonesome, dwells40, Rugerfan and 2 others Thank this.
  11. ExtremeUnction

ExtremeUnction Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2016
    Mechanicsville, VA
    Arrived at HQ yesterday around 11:30am. Was hauling a load of mayonnaise from Greenville, SC. Scheduled due date was Monday at the PFG in Richmond. As I felt it would be a waste of my time to babysit freight until Monday, I dropped it on the yard and asked for something else.

Was told that the only available load they had that would go on this week's paycheck wouldn't be ready for nearly 36 hours. Literally nothing else to haul that would go onto the books this week. My options opened up a bit if I wanted to pick up something that would go on next week's payroll, but they were offering me stuff that wouldn't be ready until Sunday and wouldn't deliver until Monday.

I told 'em I was happy to sit around and collect all the layover they wanted to pay me, and that motivated them to send me to Gordonsville to pick up an empty and take it to Wytheville, after which I was to grab a loaded trailer off the Wytheville yard and take it to the Gatorade plant in Groveport.

Drove the hour to Gordonsville and discovered that they didn't have any available empties. They had a number of Abilene trailers waiting to be unloaded, so I figured I'd call it a day and try my luck in the morning. Sure enough, they had one empty this morning, which I dutifully hauled to Wytheville.

According to the load assignment, the trailer I was supposed to haul to Groveport was #7692. But there was no 7692 on the Wytheville yard. There was, however, a 7691, and the paperwork in the manifest box showed the delivery address for the Gatorade plant in Groveport. So I figured there was a simple typo. Confirmed this with the folks in Wytheville, and then headed my merry way to Groveport.

On the way there, I got a pre-plan. Broker load to pick up something at a metal fabrication plant on the north side of Columbus. Headed there as soon as I dropped the loaded trailer and hooked an empty. Called the broker to get a pick-up number. Broker said he was out of the office getting a sandwich, and would call me back in a minute with the pick-up number. Took me 45 minutes to get to the shipper. Broker hadn't called back. So I called him again. He said he was having trouble getting the number. After about 30 minutes he called me back to tell me the reason he couldn't find the number is because the load had been cancelled.

So I moseyed my way over to the TA in London, OH, not far from the Target DC, where I remain for the evening.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.