Abilene Motor Express....A New Place To Call Home

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by JohnBoy, Apr 10, 2013.

1. JohnBoy

JohnBoy Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Lake Worth, FL.
    Will get my 4th drop off in the morning in Seattle. Been to this place a number of times over the years. Will be done by 10am. My last drop will be Monday in South San Francisco. I’ll drive down to Corning and reset. The last leg of this trip, 815 miles was split so I can get paid the first 3030 miles and 4 extra stop offs on this pay period.

Finfn1372, Rugerfan, Lonesome and 3 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Finfn1372

Finfn1372 Road Train Member

Aug 7, 2014
    Greenville,NC
    Hanging at the yard,leave out Monday morning for Il.

jarhead0311 and JohnBoy Thank this.
  4. JohnBoy

Apr 24, 2009
    Lake Worth, FL.
    Just landed in Corning Ca to start my reset. This has been one of the better LTL loads I’ve ever done. Let me rehash what got me here. I got back to Richmond a week ago this past Thursday. I had this load assigned to me on Wednesday on my way into Richmond. When I got in Thursday afternoon, I needed a reset. But because of the holiday last Monday, it was a 48 hour reset.

I had 5 drops on this load, Somerset Ky, St. Louis Mo, Seattle Wa, Portland Or and final in South San Francisco. I was suppose to start dropping on Tuesday in Somerset Ky, Wednesday in St Louis Mo then Friday morning in Seattle and Friday afternoon in Portland with the South San Francisco Ca coming off on Monday morning.

I left the Richmond yard early Sunday morning and got to the truckstop in London Ky Sunday early evening. The first drop was 2 small coolers in crates going to a Kroger. I decided to drive the 35 miles there and take a chance. They were open, and had the 2 coolers off in 10 minutes. Because of getting those 2 coolers off a day early, I now was able to get the St. Louis drop off at 0600 Tuesday morning. Then it was a nice easy drive the next 3 days to Seattle. Got to the new Loves in Moses Lake Wa early Thursday evening and camped out. Got up yesterday morning at 0500 and drove the 175 miles into Seattle. This is the great part, the only time I hit my brakes was when I was getting off my exit to get to downtown. I’ve been to this customer a dozen times over the years and this was a first. Got that drop off then hauled tail down to my Portland drop, which is the same exit as Jubitz, but going the other way. Been to this place a few times as well and was done at 1:30 yesterday afternoon. I drove right to Jubitz, got a shower, then spent the rest of yesterday and part of this morning there before I left.

It was right at 450 miles down here to Corning. I’m 174 miles to my last drop. Been to this customer before. It’s a street delivery, but only 6 boxes coming off. The problem is I have to go over the Bay Bridge and down 101, that’s the horror show, then I have to turn around and go back over the Bay Bridge to reload in downtown Oakland for Pine Bluff Ar.

Now, a little props to Abilene. They don’t split loads, this load, because of the miles, (3850) carried over into the following pay period, which meant no paycheck next week. I asked them to split it at Portland. They did, 3405 miles plus the extra drop offs. The only reason I asked them to do it, and they said yes, was because I would then be doubled up on my deductions, plus because I’ll be headed home next Thursday then dropping in Jacksonville, I would wind up with over 7000 miles for one paycheck. I don’t need all those taxes taken out, plus my 20% for my 401K. So, Abilene stepped up and made life very easy for me. The 450 miles and last drop will start this new pay period with a little extra. In fact, I’ll wind up with 3410 miles for this pay period.

With all the chaos and changes going on in Richmond, it’s always a pleasure to be away from operations and not deal with the insanity. The only conversation I had with my DM, was letting him know what truckstop to fax my last drops BOL to because someone lost them. But I did call him yesterday and told him to have a pleasant weekend. Not bad, spoke to him twice in a week. Keep this up and I just might have a change of heart.

Lonesome, Bumper, jarhead0311 and 4 others Thank this.
  5. ExtremeUnction

ExtremeUnction Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2016
    Mechanicsville, VA
    Back on the road after a week off. Got a 3-stop Hill-Phoenix load, with all stops being in Syracuse or its suburbs.

My trucker GPS doesn't want me going north on 95 for some reason. Wants me to take US-301 instead which adds at least half an hour (and probably more, in my experience -- there are a lot of stoplights on 301). But a cursory inspection of Google Maps doesn't reveal anything which would account for the alternate route. So I am cheerfully ignoring my GPS and going north on 95 anyways.

jarhead0311 Thanks this.
  6. JohnBoy

Apr 24, 2009
    Lake Worth, FL.
    95-17-81

7. jarhead0311

jarhead0311 Road Train Member

Jun 17, 2013
    Buckhannon,WV
    That 5 days off went too fast….got a gatorade load yesterday to indy which I dropped 0430 this morning then BH from New Castle to Sterling, Va. Got held up by an overpass being torn down with 20 min closures on 465 then get to BH and inspect the trailer and looks like a marker light was missing on the top rear so get sent to the Knight shop in Columbus and turns out the light was out of socket hanging and got pinched inside the right door when BH opened and closed the door last night while loading. Screwed up my entire trip plan so gotta shut down now and get up at 2100 tonight and roll through the night to get there by 0500. Hopefully no more night construction closures and DC traffic isn’t bad in the wee hrs of the morning.

JohnBoy Thanks this.
  8. jarhead0311

jarhead0311 Road Train Member

Jun 17, 2013
    Buckhannon,WV
    Vampire shift went good last night in spite of all the ppl dozing off and bobbing and weaving and haji doing haji things. Going around the curve by the entrance to the breezewood TA and across the road a haji comes flying down the right turn only ramp not even stopping and turning left almost taking out the wrong way sign and goes past the TA then starts driving down the wrong side of the road then stops and turns left too soon looking for the flying j and gets himself stuck. Id wager he came off the west side of the turnpike and went the wrong way trying to find the flying j to start with before really messing up again with that left turn. Got empty quick as that Sterling BH moves fast then parked til planners came in and sent me a Jarratt to Groveport BH run. Made it to the yard and time to crash and sleep til tomorrow after midnight.

ncmickey, Lonesome, JohnBoy and 3 others Thank this.
  9. MidWest_MacDaddy

MidWest_MacDaddy Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    Pulling a load from 300 Telfair in Savannah. Drive by the Abilene Yard there on my way here and it’s empty. Just like 3 Knight trucks. I saw a few more in the lot to the west.

I assume y’all don’t use that yard anymore? Yes, I missed a memo or two.

stay safe

4mer trucker and Bumper Thank this.
  10. JohnBoy

Apr 24, 2009
    Lake Worth, FL.
    We built a yard off exit 102 next to the Peterbilt dealer. Been up and running over a year now. Been there once in the time it’s been open. From my inside scoop, it’s dysfunction at its best.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2023
  11. Finfn1372

Finfn1372 Road Train Member

Aug 7, 2014
    Greenville,NC
    Home for a couple days,than to Charlotte for Monday.

Been one of my better weeks in a while,hoping things will turn a corner soon.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.