Abilene Motor Express....A New Place To Call Home

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by JohnBoy, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Larryparker

Larryparker Medium Load Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Boynton beach, FL
    Johnboy,
    Have a safe trip home. I got home Thursday night , sitting at home in Boynton. Came down on the pike and looked for your truck. So, Have a good home time, I amhere till Tuesday.

Take care of yourself,

Larry

JohnBoy Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JohnBoy

JohnBoy Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Lake Worth, FL.
    Thanks Larry. How goes it?

4. JohnBoy

Apr 24, 2009
    Lake Worth, FL.
    I'm home, got here at 7am. I have to drop my trailer at a publix supermarket in Jupiter in the morning. Then home until Wednesday. I have no idea what they are going to do with me with no trailer, we'll see. Time to go for a swim. See you all later.

Voyager1968 Thanks this.
  5. JohnBoy

Apr 24, 2009
    Lake Worth, FL.
    Ok, time for a retraction. On post #389 I was upset. More from the heat and humidity than from anything else. I got to the yard yesterday morning and my truck was finished.I opened my mouth before really thinking it through. You have to remember, I came from a company that didn't give a rat's arse about fixing the equipment or routine maitenance. Everything that I wrote up on my truck on Thursday was fixed, and fixed right. New steer tires, right headlight wiring harness, check engine light (EGR Sensor) replaced, rear A/C fixed. While diagnosing then fixing the rear A/C unit they also replaced the heater core that was showing signs of leaking, and went through the front A/C unit as well. I sat by the shop with Scooterdawg BS'ing all day while both our trucks were in the shop side by side. I saw mechanics working on both trucks like they took pride in their work. End result was everything was done and done right. Scooter will vouch for this because his truck had more things that needed work than my truck and he was extrememly satisfied. I guess the biggest complaint I have is that as big as our terminal is, there isn't a single place to sit under to get some shade, the back covered porch is a smokers retreat.That is not a place for me to sit. So, as it has turned out, it's all good.

6. Woobie

Woobie Medium Load Member

May 3, 2013
    RVA
    You know, you're making Abilene look like a driver's paradise. I can't wait to be done with my contract so I can apply.

7. JohnBoy

Apr 24, 2009
    Lake Worth, FL.
    I wouldn't say a drivers paradise, they have some issues like every other trucking company, but for what I require in a company, and what Abilene offers, it's a good fit for me.

The Challenger and Weeble Kneeble Thank this.
  8. popcorn169

popcorn169 Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2011
    state of confusion
    As you say it is a good fit for you. It may not be a good fit for everyone as some people have different wants and needs from a company. It does sound as they try to make it work for the drivers. The maintenance is a big plus for me. They do sound like a good company to work for though glad you like it.

JohnBoy Thanks this.
  9. RebelChick

RebelChick Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Coastal VA
    Oh yeah, they are on top of the maintenance. I put my truck in the shop today for a PM and ended up getting all new batteries, all new shocks, and all new brakes. And that's just what I know so far. They aren't done with it. Joe Sr. was saying something about a brake recall on Volvos. Don't know exactly the issue, but am glad I will have all new ones.

The only thing I am a little upset about is that I was not told that if you are in the shop for more than 4 hours, you can go to the motel to rest. My truck went in at 12:30 pm and at 7:30 pm it was still there and the mechanic wasn't sure he was going to get finished with it tonite. I still would be sitting up there waiting if Jonathan hadn't come to take a load to Brooklyn tonite. He asked if I was still in the shop and why wasn't I at the motel and he gave me a ride up here.

I was originally on a 1 am Amazon to Hebron KY load but got taken off that because I wouldn't have gotten any sleep. I then got put on a 4 am Sabra to Kinzers load. Didn't know the departure time so I called dispatch. Andrew decided that since I wasn't entirely sure my truck was going to be finished tonite, he would take me off that load as well. I will be calling the shop in a little bit to see if they will finish or not and then go from there. Such confusion, but am glad I don't have to be sitting up there until they close to get to sleep in my truck. Not fussing, just wish I would've known sooner so I could've gotten some rest and been fresh for tomorrow. I would definitely rather have a safe truck, so will be patient with the process!

10. JohnBoy

Apr 24, 2009
    Lake Worth, FL.
    The brake issue is a recall on the 1300 series trucks. They did mine last month when it was in for a PM. The rivets that hold the brake shoes together are failing and causing the shoes to separate. As far as the motel deal is concerned I too wasn't informed about the policy until I was asked by Jonathan why I wasn't at the motel. He then got me a ride up there and all was good. Now I know and will be taking full advantage of it in the future. For now, it's sleeping in my bed at the house with the better half until I leave out on Wednesday.

RebelChick and Jrdude5 Thank this.
  11. JohnBoy

Apr 24, 2009
    Lake Worth, FL.
    Well, still at the house. I got an extra day due to some kind of mix up on my home time. I dropped my trailer Monday at noon. I left here at 10:30 and was back at 12:30. I'll be leaving tomorrow sometime. Right now I don't have a trailer so your guess is as good as mine as to what they will be doing with me.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.