Abilene Motor Express....A New Place To Call Home

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by JohnBoy, Apr 10, 2013.

1. JohnBoy

JohnBoy Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Lake Worth, FL.
    Sitting here at my first drop in Denver. Got here about 2pm local time. I left Boonville at 2am, drove 4 hours straight to Salina, met the other truck to get his chains, took a shower and was back in the saddle at 7:30. I'm parked in front of my first drop. I should be done by 11am with both drops. Oh, the P.O.E. in Limon never bothered to make sure I had chains. I'm quite sure if I didn't have them they would have checked. Be safe all, God Bless

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. popcorn169

popcorn169 Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2011
    state of confusion
    Does Abilene get upset if you have time to drive and you decided to park it for the 10 hours?

4. Larryparker

Larryparker Medium Load Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Boynton beach, FL
    Hey JB, Just wanted to say a quick Hello. Hope all goes well. I am up in Egan, MN sitting here waiting to get unloaded. You know the drill, Hurry up, and then maybe we will unload you.
    Any way, hope your doing wel.

Take good care, and safe miles,

Larry

5. bigred81

bigred81 Medium Load Member

Aug 5, 2013
    JohnBoy, I have a couple of questions, 1. You seem to do a lot of night driving, 0200 start times, etc. is this by design, or is that the way freight is usually done, I'm a hhg's man by training and experience, but am getting old for being nice to people all the time! lol
    2. I thought I saw a couple of green Volvo's at the Pete Store in Richmond, you guys stepping up? (life long Pete admirer if not owner!) lol.
    Love this thread, learned a lot about what you people do.

JohnBoy Thanks this.
  6. UTurn1

UTurn1 Heavy Load Member

Jan 22, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    Popcorn, I've yet to have any problems with time. If it is a safety issue I tell them I'm not alert enough or not able to safely do it. Anytime I've had just a couple hours left they schedule it for the next day or it is a non-scheduled pick up time. I've called in a few times and asked if the allotted time was actually an appt time or not because the rush hour traffic wore me out.

popcorn169 Thanks this.
  7. UTurn1

UTurn1 Heavy Load Member

Jan 22, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    BigRed, I used to be with UVL Suddath. Running OTR at nights is sometimes the luck of the draw, sometimes when you start the week out late or sometimes just how you have to schedule it to get through areas smoother.

JohnBoy Thanks this.
  8. popcorn169

popcorn169 Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2011
    state of confusion
    UTurn thank you that is sort of what I had thought.

9. JohnBoy

Apr 24, 2009
    Lake Worth, FL.
    No. But if you were under a load and didn't utilize your driving time and wind up being late then yes they will get upset.

popcorn169 Thanks this.
  10. JohnBoy

Apr 24, 2009
    Lake Worth, FL.
    Hey there Larry. Good to hear from you. How's the truck treating you? I passed by Fitzgeralds the other day and thought about you. Be safe my friend.

Larryparker Thanks this.
  11. JohnBoy

Apr 24, 2009
    Lake Worth, FL.
    It really only depends on how the freight runs. If like this past week I have an 0130 pick up time, then that will be when I start my clock. If I have an off the wall delivery time then I'll plan my run accordingly. It really doesn't bother me running those hours, what bothers me is when I have to switch from running nights over to days in the same week. I prefer running all night or all day. Not both.

We had some Pete's in the fleet at one time, but no new ones. I'm sure they are just trying to sell the ones you saw off the lot.

bigred81 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.