Ablation For Atrial Fibrillation

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by Big Don, May 19, 2014.

1. leaseman

leaseman Bobtail Member

Sep 28, 2009
    I've had both Afib and Aflutter. Two ablations, one to fix the Afib and one to fix the flutter. This second one was done at a special hospital in Austin. Both took a few weeks for the rhythm to return to normal. Hang in there. Oh, stay away from caffeine and try to reduce stress. Those two seem to be the most common.

cybill234, Kleinkp and Big Don Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    I hope you feel better Don. They are pretty sharp on that stuff today.

I think my brother has some form of that too. After his second heart attack a bunch of the heart muscle died and his was beating irregularly so they installed a pacemaker. That was 5 years ago and he's still doing well. You just need a good tune up. Some new plugs and adjust the timing! :)

Northern Nomad Thanks this.
  4. NavigatorWife

NavigatorWife Road Train Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Cental West, AL
    Well it is another week for you and I hope you are doing even better with the heart.

5. Bumpy

Bumpy Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2009
    New Ulm,MN
    Anyone hear how Don is doing??

FloTheWaitress Thanks this.
  6. FloTheWaitress

FloTheWaitress Crusty Go Go

Feb 24, 2012
    Colorado Mountains
  7. Bumpy

Bumpy Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2009
    New Ulm,MN
  8. FloTheWaitress

FloTheWaitress Crusty Go Go

Feb 24, 2012
    Colorado Mountains
    You are so very welcome luv!!:biggrin_25519:

9. Treefork

Treefork Road Train Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Northeast Indiana
    How has your recovery been on this? How long did you miss work? Has it been successful? I'm having this done in 3 weeks after 9 years of afib.

10. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Hey Treefork, good luck with yours. First off, I'm retired, so I did not miss any work. However I had some serious complications from mine. Apparently the surgeon managed to puncture the heart and it was bleeding into the pericardium. (The sack around the heart.) I went for several weeks feeling like crap. Went to my cardiologist once. Was unable to see the surgeon, (claimed some type of emergency surgery came up,) so saw a LNP instead. Basically was given the old kiss off.

Went another few days and went to my family doctor. He walked into the room and his chin just about hit the floor. First words out of his mouth was "Hey Don, where the hell is your blood? You are white as a ghost." Anyway, long story short, ended up in the hospital for five days, with a drain in my pericardium, feeling like crap all the time. Then was released after the fluid was drained off.

Went several more weeks feeling better, but still having bouts with AFIB. I was on a terribly expensive drug to regulate the heart. Didn't work worth a darn. Had one failed attempt at electrocardioversion. They shocked me three times, but the heart wouldn't reset. The cardio doc was not willing to shock me any further, figuring it wouldn't be "real good" for me.

Went home, and a couple of weeks later, they brought me back in for another attempt. This cardioversion actually did work. Then they finally got around to changing the drugs they were giving me to regulate the heart beat. I have been several weeks now, without AFIB, and feeling good.

They are now telling me there is a new way of doing the ablation that was not available to them (here in SW Utah,) at the time they did mine. With mine, they went up through the artery in the leg, and burned an area in the atrium that was supposed to block the undesirable electrical currents that were sending me into AFIB. What they have now, is a cryogenic method, where instead of burning, (ie sport welding,) the area, they can go in and freeze the area completely. This allegedly has a higher success rate than the burning. And if I need to have it done again, this will be the one I go with.

Just keep in mind that the success rate on ablations is not nearly as wonderful as they try to tell you it is before you have it. My cardiodoc says the success rate for the hot ablation is about 45% while the success rate for the cold ablation is about 60%. I don't know if he even knows what he is talking about or not.
    They are giving me about three more months here to see if I maintain a steady rhythm. If I do, they will slowly try to wean me off these heart regulating drugs. (They have some extremely serious side effects, if used over a long period of time.)

If I start having the AFIB again, then I'll try it again. But I'm hoping I won't need it.

I can tell you, that when I was having and recovering from that pericarditis I felt so bad that I honestly did not care whether I lived or died. In fact, I was praying that God would just go ahead and take me, but I guess he had other plans.

FWIW, (which to me is not much,) the surgeon told me that in doing thousands of these over the past 14 years, I was the only patient to have problems like this. Needless to say, ah hell, so I won't. Anyway, if I do it again, it will be with a different surgeon.

I sincerely hope that you have much better luck than I did, and there is no reason to think that you won't. Just understand that these surgeons will often gloss over the possibilities of side effects or after effects.

OTOH, I'm not one of these people who can lead a relatively normal life when I'm in AFIB. The shortness of breath, the chest pain, the loss of any desire to do ANYTHING, is just not something I can continue on with. So I will try whatever is available to try to mitigate the problem.

So in answer to your question, "was it successful," I just have to say "we will see if it is or not."

11. Treefork

Treefork Road Train Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Northeast Indiana
    Thank you for an honest and comprehensive reply. I'm having a cryo ablation, I've been on the anti arrhythmia drugs for 9 years because my cardiologist never even told me there were other options. I'm 36 and presented with afib at 27. No other health issues beyond that. I'm glad you recovered from your complications! That's scary stuff.
    He told me about 70% success rate, so, we will see. Even 60% isn't bad odds for fixing it. Better than 50/50. :)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.