About Leaving Your Car at a Terminal - safe or not?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by NewTruckerGuy, Apr 22, 2024.

1. drivingmissdaisy

drivingmissdaisy Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2019
    Wait, underwater, or just sitting in water? Underwater would mean you have a place in your lot with several feet of water. I've never heard of that before. That's a huge liability.

I never have been able to leave my car at a terminal as I've always lived hundreds of miles from my company terminals but did leave it at a truck stop for a while. After having had someone hit my car and not leave a note, and then someone stole my BRAND NEW car cover AND 8 clamps I had around the car to hold the cover on, I said #### it. I told the manager of the truck stop and she gave me permission to drop my trailer and bobtail home. I am now blessed to have a private place to drop my trailer in a parking lot owned by my neighbor at their place of business in a nearby town and I bobtail home keeping my car safely at my house in my garage plugged into an AC powered battery maintainer. I'm the only one authorized to park there and the business has been open since 1974. Passed down from parent to child. Nicest family you'd ever want to meet.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2024
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Radman

Radman Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2011
    Usually terminals are pretty secure to leave your car there. Spend acouple of bucks on Amazon and get a jump box. Pretty small and works well. You can keep it in your truck and keep it charged. I generally leave mine in my vehicle and the box keeps charged for months.

4. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018
    I actually did away with my car, when OTR. What’s the point of paying for one if it’s only going to be used 2-3 times ever month and a half. Something to think about.

5. snicrep

snicrep Medium Load Member

May 13, 2009
    mcallen, tx
    I'm gone a month at a time. My old silverado has started everything. I have a booster just in case.

6. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    A few years ago my apartment complex stopped letting bobtail trucks park there, so I had to get a car.
    I found a 1997 Chrysler Sebring with only 60k miles for $2,500, which I paid cash for. So no car payment and I don't have to rely on Uber/whatever.

lual and LoneRanger Thank this.
  7. JSanborn103

JSanborn103 Medium Load Member

Jan 20, 2021
    It was up to my windows but drained off later. The car had to be towed to a junkyard or wherever my insurance company took it

8. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    You should have a set of jumper cables in the truck regardless so if the 4 wheeler is dead just bob tail over and jump it, or make friends with a mechanic and grab a service truck

tscottme Thanks this.
  9. drivingmissdaisy

drivingmissdaisy Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2019
    Wow, I'm sorry to hear that, dude. What a sucky thing. Hopefully your company gave you something for that.

10. expedite_it

expedite_it Road Train Member

Sep 8, 2012
    I've been leaving my car at the terminal while I am out on the road in my semi-truck for my entire ten year career. I have never had any problems.

11. The one california kid

The one california kid Medium Load Member

Oct 31, 2023
    I always left mine in the lot wherever I was working, joplin, kc, wi (can't remember where gainey was at, wh ok cares they were a lost company anyways) i always:
    1. Used one of those "club" steering wheel locks.
    2. Put a locking gas cap on it (first thing I do when I get a different car/truck
    3. Always had a good battery (megatron)
    However ive came back after 2-3mo to a dead battery. Would just bobtail to my ride and give myself a jump.
    Those mini compressors are nice, but you're better off if you go into flying J or a T/A and they have a 25' (or 50' can't remember) air hose that has a glad hand connector on one end to hook up to your air line (I always used the trailer brake red hose) and the other end has a chuck in it where you can pop in an tire inflation chuck ( buy the big long truckers air chuck cause theyre nice the way they will lock onto the tires' valve core so you dont have to hold it on the whole time) that air hose helped me out a bunch of times. You can also attach an airblow chuck on it too.. so get a good long set of quality jumper cables and that air hose and truckers air chuck, you'll be glad someday to have it. Also, if they still have it out there you can get a lockout kit that comes with various slim jims and rods to use in case you see a hot babe out there that's locked herself out and you wanna be a nice guy. (My luck, I always got the blonde in a convertible with the top down who was sitting in her car crying because she locked herself in. LoL

lual and Numb Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.