? About my new Garmin 780, low bridges and routing?

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by bzinger, Oct 5, 2018.

1. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    You need to have height AND weight set. Otherwise you might get routed on a road with a low weight bridge. As seems to be common on the east side.

I've never had a problem with copilot on bridges. Have had a few low weight roads though. But I wasn't the only truck on them roads.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ReeferOhio

ReeferOhio Medium Load Member

Nov 29, 2010
    Ohio
    I've got the Garmin 780 and have not experienced this issue. Funny though, I've got a Kenworth T660 with the NavPlus system in it. I don't like it since it's not the newer version (truck is a 16') and will not take the update (it uses Garmin as it's routing software), so I put all the weights and heights to a minimum to use my external Garmin and it still warns me of bridges and roads that are not truck friendly.

bzinger Thanks this.
  4. Buckeye 60

Buckeye 60 Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2018
    I have a garmin too .... I haven't had any problems with state or us highways but city streets are not always listed in the "system " the states do the highways but it's up to the individual cities to put in height weight or other truck restrictions

5. fss99701

fss99701 Medium Load Member

Feb 14, 2019
    none of your business
    The Garmin 780 I think it's a pretty good GPS I have used one for about 6 months.
    Anyways for people having problems with it garment admitted they had screwed up maps for a while and finally released a fixed map file version available for download mine just updated again 3 days ago 7 GB. hopefully they finally got the bugs out of their mapping software.

6. Buckeye 60

Apr 19, 2018
    I have been running garmin for 8 years now and the state and us highways are good and haven't had any suprises, however some city streets are not always listed so watch it

7. AubieDoc87

AubieDoc87 Bobtail Member

Oct 16, 2018
    Florida
    I’ve not personally ever had a clearance issue with mine, but I have had where it wouldn’t find an address. I have the email contact for them saved. Every time that I have a hiccup, I shoot an email to them and they usually fix it in the next update. With this clearance issue, I strongly advise that you call them and have them go through the settings with you..worst comes to worst, they may find a defect and send you a new unit.

8. 1 reefer madness

1 reefer madness Bobtail Member

Jul 19, 2015
    Sou'west Nova
    New York State often posts bridges as 12'6" when they are 13'6". It is some kind of legal liability thing

bzinger Thanks this.
  9. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Wonder how it would act if height was set to 14.

I had my copilot set for 13.6 and never had any issues. But I only went to NY one time. That was bobtail to pick up a empty tanker in RI and take her to it's new home on the western side of the country. So It was basically 80 and 95 and back to 80 all the way.

10. Buckeye 60

Apr 19, 2018
    NEW York sets the signs a foot low to allow for snow on the road ..... they are in the process of changing to actual height which will take years when some will be right and some will be a foot off. its confusing at best

11. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    Did you get the problem fixed? How satisfied have you been with the Garmin? My Rand Mcnally has been acting up lately, I'm thinking about purchasing a garmin....

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.