About to buy an inverter...

Discussion in 'Swift' started by DickJones, Jan 2, 2011.

1. Shadowed

Shadowed Light Load Member

Jun 16, 2007
    Northern Wisconsin
    I have the 2000 watt powerdrive and I am not impressed.. On / off switch does not work (stays on all the time) and the cooling fans make a loud whining / grinding noise when it is cold in the cab. Plus for some reason it will power evrything but my printer/copier/scanner.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. REDD

REDD The Legend

Jun 29, 2009
    Dueling Banjoville
    That has to do with the sine wave. Some appliances won't run off a modified sine wave.

4. DickJones

DickJones Road Train Member

Aug 16, 2010
    my 400w inverter powers my scanner/copier/printer just fine....so if the powerdrive didnt power that, i'd still be okay. My guess is that since one inverter powers it, the other one will.....just a guess.

Just something tells me those powerdrive inverters sold at truck stops, etc. are very cheaply made. Think i might just go to the place that does my CBs, have them put a new coax in my truck (lost the driver side antenna few days ago) and get shorter antenna cause the wind really likes to whip those 4' firesticks i got....well....one still on my truck, the other laying somewhere on I-70....lol.

but Walcott CB across from I-80 truck stop, has about 10 different sizes inverters. I think they even sold a 7000w one....now, unless i'm going to put in a small sound system, a disco ball and a stripper pole, i'm not going to need something like that............but that does sound cool..... :biggrin_25512:

5. Injun

Injun Road Train Member

May 15, 2010
    West o' the Big Crick
    Stripper pole??? :biggrin_2556:

6. Fewe

Fewe Light Load Member

Aug 20, 2010
    Arlington, TN
    Hell yeah... party in Dick's Truck!!!!!!!!

7. DickJones

DickJones Road Train Member

Aug 16, 2010
    not for me....for a........aah nevermind. (oh and NOT a male stripper either, as some might hope...LOL)

8. Native Dancer

Native Dancer Heavy Load Member

Dec 28, 2007
    Portland, Or.
    I've been running the same 1500 watt Vanner (made in Ohio) for over 20 years.

9. Dealjobber

Dealjobber Light Load Member

Nov 22, 2010
    I've got a 410W Schumacher. Got it from Wally World.

I like it better than the powerdrives and cobras of about the same wattages. It handles my Xbox 360 better than those two, and it has readouts that tells you the voltage from the battery plus the watts whatever you have plugged into it is drawing, and it costs the same.....because *checks* yep, made in China.

10. Injun

Injun Road Train Member

May 15, 2010
    West o' the Big Crick
    Dick ended up getting a 2000W inverter for a really good price. Forgot where he said he got it or what brand it is.

Hey, American Trucker: could you describe how yours is hooked up and maybe show a pic?
    Thx.

11. American-Trucker

American-Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Charlotte, North Carolina

It should have 4 terminals 2 red 2 black, what you do is connect the two red together and the two black together and then take a wire from the black to the negitive side on your battery and a wire from the red to the positive side of the battery. heres a pic I'll post a better pic of it tonight when I stop I dont have time now, I gotta get ready to drive 5mph for 11 hours.......

[​IMG]

American Trucker

Buckeye 'bedder, Injun and scottied67 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.