About to get into ltl and would appriciate words of wisdom

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by bubblehead, Oct 7, 2012.

1. bubblehead

bubblehead Bobtail Member

Jul 27, 2011
    Estacada, Oregon
    I didn't go to "school". Been driving big "stuff" since age 7. (tree harvester) Drove everything from fork lift to Trident Submarine and love to travel so truck driving was a good move for me. Got permit and hit the road with a crusty old owner/operator who had three trucks. Got my cdl 3 months later and started regional in a 09 Pete with reefers mostly. The guy was a idiot, fell $2400 behind in my pay, and eventually was screaming at me for not taking my previously abused truck, now with a cracked head blowing white smoke, from Portland to Vegas. Also, he wanted me to drive 17 hours non stop to get back. I didn't take the load (of course) and quit. Left his truck in his yard after cleaning it up and making it way better than I found it. Found local job driving flat bed but his season is only 4 months. He is willing to rent his truck and trailer to me for a low price so I just filed for authority and am about to bind on insurance, etc.
    A local company in my small town brokers ltl and needs drivers. They claim they have more freight than owner/operators to haul it. Can this be true? They have several drivers that have been with them for 5 years or so, been around for about 30 years, and all seem like good people when I went to the office to check them out.
    Am I just lucky or am I missing something? One thing I know for sure is that many other drivers are full of good information and brokers are full of whatever they think drivers want to hear.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Wow, I can't believe how many people have jumped on here to talk to you in a week's time!:biggrin_25513: I imagine by now, your decision has already been made. What did you do?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.