About to go very OTR with Swift

Discussion in 'Swift' started by Driver#3141592, Jun 26, 2020.

1. Driver#3141592

Driver#3141592 Light Load Member

Jun 26, 2020
    What company is that with? If you're not taking home time that seems terrible even with short runs. For perspective my last job (at Reed TMS) I averaged around 3300 on a dedicated account. Before that (and before my hiatus from trucking) I averaged around 2800 per week at Heyl but I was taking home time monthly then which hurts the numbers.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    How long was your hiatus? Some companies are better with giving miles than others, I'll concede that. I think running reefers is the best bet to get the most miles

4. nredfor88

nredfor88 Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2019
    USA
    OTR, reefer with the long load and unload times associated with that. I get paid for empty and loaded. Many trips 1500 plus, highest was 2602. Rarely less than maybe 300 or 400 unless they are trying to get me home.

bryan21384 Thanks this.
  5. Driver#3141592

Driver#3141592 Light Load Member

Jun 26, 2020
    That's what I ran with Heyl. Was easy to get miles there. That was years ago. I didn't hate the company, but I wanted to try dry van. I knew the average length of haul would be shorter, but didn't think it would be 1/4 as long.

6. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    Well, I think it is not uncommon that different folks end up with different experiences with Swift. For me, things have been good.
    1. My average load is either around 400 miles or 700 miles. Keep in mind I only run in the Western region, so I am unlikely to get any 2000+ types of loads. Prior to restricting myself to the West I would get 1200 and 2000 mile plus loads fairly regularly. I do still get some in the 1000 mile area. I also get those 20 and 30 mile 'runs' for a load that has been T-Called to a local terminal or drop yard and I'm just taking it to the receiver for the delivery appointment.
    2. Sometimes loads have tight schedules, sometimes not. The one I am on right now has a very slack schedule and I could actually take a 34 reset before I deliver. But, I have had others where I had to run as best I could, which means limit my 10 hour breaks to right at 10 hours, only do my 30 minute break as 30 minutes and otherwise drive as solidily as I can and end up getting there like 1/2 hour before appointment time. Usually, my schedules are about right. Some slack, but not so much I'm killing time for the sake of killing time. If I had trip planned this load a little better from when I picked it up, I probably could have T-Called it at a terminal early and jumped on another load.
    3. I get detention pay, VERY regularly. My last check had close to $250 of detention pay. Swift is picky about their detention pay rules, but if you follow them, they do pay. If the shipper or receiver doesn't write the times on my BOL, I write it in before I scan them. I include my arrival time, appointment time and departure time.
    4. My weekly milage can vary between about 1000 miles to around 2500 miles. Alot depends on load schedules, detention and if I take any time off. I like to run, but I am not a milage ##### as many are. So, I'm fine with the miles I get. As I have explained in other posts, I try to be helpful to them, which can include taking short runs and going to places with bad reputations for wait times. By doing what I can to be flexible and helpful, they in turn seem to take pretty good care of me.
    5. Finding empty reefer trailers can be a pain in the neck. I bobtailed over 400 miles in Ohio a few months ago playing whack-a-mole to find an empty. But, I got paid for those miles. Also, I tend to find humor where others find frustration. I had a blast ducking around to all these places looking for an empty. IDK, I just thought it all pretty funny. Been in numerous situations where I just was amused. Things that are beyond my control and where I am doing what I can, I usually don't get upset over. Oh yea, with reefer trailers it is fairly common to have to get them washed out before you can take them to a customer.
    6. I haven't really had any 'bad' experiences with the shops. My first truck was a Freightliner and had been governed to 59 on pedal and 61 on cruise. After my first run, I had to get the infamous CAL BIT inspection and asked the mechanic if he could look into it. He gave me no guarantees, but when I got the truck back, it was set on 65 on pedal and 68 on cruise. Obviously I didn't advertise that and still refuse to say where and who did it. But, usually I time my truck shop visits to taking time off. Or, if unscheduled, take time off anyway. Not uncommon. I'll grab an Uber and check myself into a local hotel. All depends.

Anyway, as I began all this, some folks have very bad experiences with Swift and some folks have good experiences. I think much depends on the luck of the draw, but parts depend on folks expectations and temperament. Swift isn't perfect, it is a job! I tend to make it sound like it is awesome and wonderful, which it isn't. But, the bad, just ain't that bad and the good is pretty decent. This may be my first trucking job, but this ain't my first rodeo. I learned a long time ago what to expect, not expect, tolerate and not tolerate from an employer.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
  7. dptrucker

dptrucker Road Train Member

May 14, 2012
    adelanto,ca.
    I am on a dedicated route and take a day off every Monday.
    2700 miles a week

8. dptrucker

dptrucker Road Train Member

May 14, 2012
    adelanto,ca.
    you have a great attitude.
    you will go a long way in this and other companies

Six9GS and Wasted Thyme Thank this.
  9. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    I think that really is my point. Two different drivers two different attitudes. Two different out comes.

10. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    It is more than just attitudes though.

Two different drivers at two different terminals with 2 different driver managers, and so on up the chain.

My good luck at Swift has been because I have been in the right places and with the right people backing me up.
    Fontana, Otay Mesa, Inver Grove Heights, and now Menasha terminals - all of them small and people that really care about one another.
    Many larger terminals, or some terminals in other places, are not like that. It is dog eat dog at many of them.

11. Oakland Raiders Forever

Oakland Raiders Forever Medium Load Member

Feb 24, 2020
    Swift is a joke. Ok to learn and get some experience but then become a professional and get with a professional company.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.