about to graduate : questions

Discussion in 'Gordon' started by krazyhorsechick, Jul 10, 2013.

1. krazyhorsechick

krazyhorsechick Medium Load Member

May 19, 2013
    Hi, im about to graduate and have a few questions if you can help thank you so much.
    Does Gordon hire new cdl students
    How long are you with a trainer
    Do trainer and students run as a team
    Slip seating yes or no
    Thank you again for your help

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RonPaul2012

RonPaul2012 Medium Load Member

Jul 21, 2011
    California
    I know they offer Tuition reimbursement, so more than likely the hire students.

Personally, I went with Watkins Shepard out the gate and wouldn't change anything if I was finishing school tomorrow. 10 day orientation and they toss you the keys to your truck. No trainer/team driving for slave wages. Not the highest pay (I started at .25, but I've heard they raised it to .28), but you get regular increases at 90, 6 months, 1 year, etc (don't know one driver that didn't get his raises on time). Additionally, they pay all hub miles, even when your bobtailing around town doing laundry and shopping, those miles go on next trip envelope. Still on paper logs, but that could always change. I no longer work there, but recommend any newbies give them a look, you'd have a hard time finding anything negative on this forum about them. Though Im not sure if your in their hiring area, can't hurt to try checking them out, good family company, name not a number for sure.

They have some good accessory pay. $5 per drop or hook, $20 per stop. I delivered a set of casters for an ottoman (total weight 3.5 lb) and was paid $20, the hub miles is the big one. I was doing runs up California for them for a few months and got $50 bonus for the trip up the coast, $20 per stop (usually 10-20 stops) and $25 bonus for the trip back down I5 from Modesto. Like I said, the per mile is weak, but the extra pay and hub is were it's at. They route you, but you can go out of route and still get paid all miles. I got a buddy at Schneider, he loses about 10% on the miles he drives, as they pay the routed miles and sometimes the google route is not the truck route. Not knocking Schneider, might go there as an o/o.. Just my $0.02

Good luck, sorry can't help out too much with Gordon, I'm sure someone will chime in by tomorrow...

jomar68 Thanks this.
  4. STORMYDAWN

STORMYDAWN Bobtail Member

Jul 10, 2009
    I graduated last year and my husband I went directly to Gordon. They are a great company and I would definitely recommend a new cdl holder start with them. I was with my trainer for 6 weeks only because I didn't feel ready after the normal 28 days. The company was very accommodating when I asked for a little more time. The trainer is right next to you the whole time. They are not allowed to go to the back while the trainee is driving which I loved. My husband and I have been teaming since I got out of training and we are getting great miles. No slip seating.

krazyhorsechick Thanks this.
  5. krazyhorsechick

May 19, 2013
    Thank you Gordon is also at the top of my list. And thank you I did not know that about there training. Do the give a drive test and backing test. If so.can you tell me.about it.

6. Victor_V

Victor_V Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2008
    Spencer, Indiana
    You should contact Gordon directly. The Trainer has to be awake and alert in the jump seat while you are driving, I believe. The best place to get your questions answered is from Gordon directly, especially to see if trainers are available, if not, how long a wait for a trainer, whether you would qualify based on the CDL school you're attending and your employment background. Don't be afraid to ask those questions of Gordon directly. I met three trainers, 2 I really liked and respect; one I have no use for because he's a heavy smoker and I found him smoking in a truck I had just spent the morning cleaning up so that it wouldn't smell like an ashtray. Candidate for a drop kick!

You might ask if anyone here is a current Gordon trainee with a trainer. The longer the lapse between their training and advising you, the greater likelihood that things have changed. IMO Gordon would be an excellent choice for you if you can get on. Then you can continue this thread with your experience at Gordon...

Good luck!

7. STORMYDAWN

Jul 10, 2009
    I did not have to take a driving test or a backing test. I'm not sure if that is the norm but since my trainer was giving everyone else their tests he told me I didn't have to. My trainer was a great guy! I opted for a male trainer bc a female trainer was not available for quite awhile. I found him to be very respectful and never once felt uncomfortable.

8. krazyhorsechick

May 19, 2013
    Well I put my application in today and I received an email that said my recruiter name and they would contact me within 24 hours im so excited. I will do my finals next week and the week after I will graduate. I sure hope im ready lol im just so nervous. I also put in 2 other applications so I guess we will see what happens. :biggrin_2551:

9. CougFan

CougFan Light Load Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Gordon is, in my opinion, probable the best company to work for as a rookie driver. They pay decent, and most importantly the DM's, fleet, and shop staff are the most respectful in the business. After a few years better pay does attract a lot of drivers to leave, but for a company to put your time and in get your feet wet I they are tops.

10. CougFan

CougFan Light Load Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Oh, and as part of the orientation at the pacific yard we did a drive test (cake walk, drive to the interestate, take an off ramp, drive back), and there was a back up test, but again it was cake. (There was more than enough room to pull far enough ahead to just straight back it in.) But I dont remember if the students had to take those tests or not, but if you do dont sweat it.

11. STORMYDAWN

Jul 10, 2009
    The only downside of the training Gordon gives you is the pay for the time you are with a trainer. You are only paid minimum wage for those 28 days. Wasn't sure you were aware of this or not so I thought I would throw it out for you.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.