AC radiator leak - is it fixable?

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by PermanentTourist, Apr 23, 2019.

1. PermanentTourist

PermanentTourist Heavy Load Member

Nov 9, 2016
    48 states + Canada
    Glad everything worked out. I'm just here on 65 coming up on Alabama, got in touch with the people at Cullman and they have the parts for me, really good deal! Like $200 cheaper than Freightliner. Going to pick it up and install it and go to the huge Petro just south of there and have them to Evac and recharge. Meanwhile, me and the dog are just glad that it's been cool and cloudy in the south. It's funny how spoiled we have gotten, I can't imagine how people did trucking before air conditioning was standard, especially in those tiny all-metal sleepers...

Anyway... Thank you so much for telling me about those Michigan radiator people, you saved me a bunch of cash. I'll give a final update later.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PermanentTourist

Nov 9, 2016
    48 states + Canada
    Ok, I maybe messed everything up.

Picked up the new condenser, installed it, then borrowed vacuum pump and gauges from an autozone. Did the vacuum thing for a while, then I decided to put in 3 oz of compressor oil. That might have been a mistake. When I started running the system and putting in freon, the compressor started blowing clouds of freon and green fluid from its vent valve! So now I'm covered in weird smelly stuff and I have no idea what to do. Do I need a new compressor, or is there a way to salvage the situation?

4. PermanentTourist

Nov 9, 2016
    48 states + Canada
    Ok, never mind. I found the problem. I didn't do anything wrong.

The problem is, on the new condenser from those Michigan people... the intake hole, where the freon line comes in, well, it's not a hole.

I mean literally, it doesn't go anywhere. They didn't drill it all the way through. Here is what it looks like: 20190425_234917.jpg
    And here is what it's supposed to look like (from the old condenser): 20190425_235206.jpg
    Sorry about the bad quality, it is night time and I am tired. On the old one, it goes through to the interior of the condenser.

So there you have it. If these people blew up my compressor with their un-holey part, they are SO paying for all the repairs. What a day. I guess that's what I get for trying to save money. If you ever buy stuff from these clowns, make sure that the holes actually go places.

5. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    It's likely just the popoff valve that was spewing freon and oil. Hopefully anyway. Clean it off with chlorinated Brakleen (red can) and dump a little bit of refrigerant in it to check for leaks before you vacumn it again.

Also, when you disconnect the vacumn pump and hook up the refrigerant, make sure the gauge valves are closed and then blow a little bit of freon through the yellow hose to purge the air out of it. Just loosen the hose where it connects to the gauge manifold and open the can tap.

6. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Good God, that’s terrible, sorry to hear all that. No hole at all? How in the hell? It even looks chewed up.My apologies for the bad reference

PermanentTourist Thanks this.
  7. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    Almost looks like metal from a bad compressor clogged it up.

speedyk Thanks this.
  8. PermanentTourist

Nov 9, 2016
    48 states + Canada
    I thought about that, but honestly it looks too solid and seamless. Like it's a part of the inlet outlet aluminum piece, not anything separate.

I'm on my way back North with a load to Pennsylvania, going to stop by Cullman and see what they have to say for themselves.

9. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    There’s no real reason, if compressor was working fine, before,I’ve had them pop off from overfilling, last one I had a bad high pressure switch, didn’t know, thought it was low and filled it in a hurry with can upside down. Split compressor wide open. Bad idea!! Good luck anyway, hope you get to the bottom of this.

PermanentTourist Thanks this.
  10. PermanentTourist

Nov 9, 2016
    48 states + Canada
    I'm at Cullman warehouse, and all of their condensers of this model don't have a hole, lol. I feel vindicated, but also annoyed, because I was hoping for a replacement part. The guy is in the warehouse trying to find one that does have a hole.

And they are allegedly willing to work with me about fixing the other damages, but they have to check with the big boss, and he is of course not there today. So a big headache overall, and meanwhile still no AC. At least I'm heading north...

11. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    Someone in China is going to a prison work camp over this.

IH Truck Guy, Joetro and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.