Ac wierdness

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by skallagrime, May 23, 2019.

1. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    94 kw, b 3406e cat with sleeper

shouldn't be all that relevant except that the condenser kw makes is basically wet cardboard and gets replaced #### near yearly

I've replaced every component except the control itself, the ducting and housing for the evap coil, held just fine for 2 years no problem
    Ac ice cold, blows nice, no freezing

My problem is threefold and may be interrelated

1. The compressor NEVER turns off, even at 1500+ rpm, fan running and a hose on the condenser.
    2. Ice cold ac i t(like 45 out of vent)U I turn the rear ac on, at that point the front is reasonably cool (65)t but rear is maybe 10-15 degrees under ambient and doesn't keep up up with the sun

3. I'm not entirely sure, what this one was

So, my guess is that the rear expansion valve is too open? , There's an Allen head on the bottom, is that actually an adjustment bolt or no?

Any help would be appreciated

This one
    Expansion Valve Block 38880

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Smellfunny

Smellfunny Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2012
    South Carolina
    I would replace it. There is no adjustment. The compressor would only turn off if the pressures got too high or low or the temperature gets too low at the evaporator. Other than that it runs all the time.

4. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    I just replaced a bunch of parts on my AC system to no avail, then I found the expansion valve in the sleeper was leaking.

Replace that everything working fine now

5. skallagrime

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    Not leaki6,
    Hmm, okay. That's annoying,
    So I guess I just got a factory defect, no matter, front alone used to freeze me out (sleeper has a gate valve so that essentially closes that loop)

What temp is the evap sensor thermostat range on a 94 kw? Any guess? When I put the evap in I may have put the thermometer wire only through the heater core.... "May have" derp

6. Smellfunny

Smellfunny Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2012
    South Carolina
    Is the heater control valve shutting the hot water off to sleeper? That is something else I just thought about.

7. skallagrime

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana

Yeah that's off, well, non-existent, front heater provides more than enough to roast me in sleeper even in -20 weather (I can get front ac down to 50 even with front heater core still open)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.