Accelerator pedal question

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by BillyBobFrank, Apr 23, 2024.

1. BillyBobFrank

BillyBobFrank Light Load Member

Nov 7, 2022
    Not a new driver, but just trying to find a new way around my company's idle timeout. My company puts a 5 minute timer on the engine effect the temperature outside is below 91 degrees. Unfortunately the AC from the APU can't keep up with 80 degrees on a sunny day (black truck), so I was trying to find a method to keep my accelerator slightly pressed in order to prevent the engine from shutting off. Any tips for this balancing act?

Flat Earth Trucker Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    A constant pressure won't do the trick.
    In the past I have taped a broom handle to the pedal with the other end resting between the upraised armrest and the chair.
    A little push every 4 minutes does the trick.

BillyBobFrank Thanks this.
  4. Lazer

Lazer Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2017
    All depends on the truck.
    Some you set the trailer brakes, but not the tractor brakes and then engage the cruise control and tap the + knob/button a couple times. Some trucks you need to set the truck brakes. If the truck has a pto switch (but no pto on the transmission), engage that switch and tap the ‘idle’ button if there is one.
    Try all different things.
    Some trucks you’re just schmitt out of luck.

5. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    Either they fix/replace the apu to keep up, or find a new gig where they care about their drivers enough to have adequate ac before summer.

6. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Electric screwdriver with an off-center circle of plywood. As the circle rotates it presses & releases the gas pedal.
    BTW, company will still see your idle time & air temp & investigate or ask you to stop and fire you when it doesn't stop.

7. Flat Earth Trucker

Flat Earth Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 19, 2018
    There are dozens of YouTube videos on how to keep a tractor running.

austinmike Thanks this.
  8. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    I'm constantly reminded how out of the loop I am, with all these gizmos we never had to deal with, but one thing remains universal, apparently, the office never recognizes YOUR comfort. Tell them not to have a/c or heat in the office, see how long THEY last. It was one of those things they didn't approve, but when put that way, they usually shut up about it. I don't know how you drivers put up with all the techy stuff, heck, we jammed a stick in the pedal, and out went the lights. Seeing all you folks put up with, if I was looking for a career, like I was in the 70s, I wouldn't even consider trucking today.

9. SoulScream84

SoulScream84 Road Train Member

Mar 21, 2020
    Now you know something to ask of your future employers during the interview.

10. PaulMinternational

PaulMinternational Road Train Member

Aug 23, 2022
    I drained the freon or whatever it was in the office air conditioner a few years ago.
    Boss was cheep and I knew he wouldn't fix it till the dead of summer.
    Got filled with joy every warm day when I walked in and saw them sweating.

snowlauncher, austinmike, 201 and 3 others Thank this.
  11. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Winner.

You run the miles, you deliver the loads, you rest and relax in comfort. All or nothing.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.