Accepted with Steven's - will be training in Colorado within the month

Discussion in 'Stevens' started by MrIT, Jul 30, 2014.

1. MrIT

MrIT Light Load Member

Dec 13, 2013
    Pittsburgh
    Well I have been accepted to be trained by Steven's, then to orientation for 4 days, then off with a trainer for 240 hours / 5-6 weeks, then get my own rig with a load heading back home and a 7 day break. This is the first company sponsored training company I have talked to that was 100% on the ball with every piece of information and getting back to me in a satisfactory amount of time. Note I never called CRE, CRST, or swift. I may have given swift a thought, however I know of sever drivers first year pay checks with them and they were less than average, also no APU and I believe a 15% idle policy makes for sweating your balls off during the summer.

Given that Steven's is a reefer company I am sure the miles are there and they have nice trucks. Not sure I can do a better job than Capper (and thank you sir for the journal!) at journaling my progress and it will be about the same, as his as I am going to the same place - however I will probably keep track of my days!

I have always wanted to drive a truck, I have driven across the US several times in a car. I put myself through college and ended up with an office job being a network engineer. People always say "their cushy office jobs" but with all the back stabbing, gossiping ######## that are in office buildings - I am glad to break out of there.

I have driven box trucks with cars in tow and boats in tow of trucks. I have also driven tractors when I was a pup as a yard jockey job hooking trailors, backing them to the dock them loading them with the fork lift. I was good at doing all this so I am hoping now that I am middle aged (In my 30's), I will do fine and pass through the first time. I am about 25% through the CDL manual in 2 days so far of studying and am passing the practice questions.

Wish me luck all! and maybe I will meet some of you out there.

Truckie83 and PikesPeak Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Emulsified

Emulsified Road Train Member

May 6, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    good luck. let us know how it goes

4. SHOJim

SHOJim Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Columbus, Ohio
    Good luck and enjoy your new adventure!!

5. PikesPeak

PikesPeak Light Load Member

Good Luck, and let us know how it goes for you.

6. TLeaHeart

TLeaHeart Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2008
    casper, wy
    enjoy the ride, be easy on yourself, there is a lot to learn in a short period of time... the easy part is rolling down the highway

Puppage Thanks this.
  7. KMac

KMac Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Waxahachie, TX
    Good Luck... Remember there will be frustrations along the way, but as I tell all new people I encounter, keep your eye on the prize and more importantly, take a moment or two each day to appreciate the journey. You will see exciting things and beautiful places and more than most people can imagine. Take time to enjoy the ride.

8. Puppage

Puppage Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Connecticut
  9. ryanro77

ryanro77 Bobtail Member

Jul 31, 2014
    how long did it take from the time you applied to the time you got accepted?

10. bigred81

bigred81 Medium Load Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Good luck! Keep us informed on how it goes, Stevens has a reputation on here for good training, but very low pay.

11. Dryver

Dryver Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Sioux Falls, SD
    It's a compromise with any training companys for the first 12 months. From research and the posts of drivers going through the training I agree with you that Stevens has very good training compared to other companies. It is important for new hires to understand that the first 12-18 months in this industry will have the sacrifice of low pay so should plan their finances and financial responsibilities accordingly.
    In many cases new hires have recently lost a job or have been out of work for some time and already have collectors breathing down their back and are looking for quick cash. Unfortunately this leads to unhappy drivers taking it out on the companies and coming on this forum complaining of low pay and how they are being screwed.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.